Ridge Vents vs. Powered Attic Vent

Old 07-10-05, 05:11 PM
dlsrk
Visiting Guest
Question Ridge Vents vs. Powered Attic Vent

I am in the process of obtaining quotes to have my roof stripped and re-roofed. The house is approx. 2000 sq. ft. and is 2 stories with an attached garage in the Buffalo, NY area. The original roof contains a passive ventilation system consisting of 4-5 box vents mounted near the ridge line of the attic over the living space and 3-4 box vents mounted over the attic of the garage. Soffit venting also exists for each attic / roof space.

I had a thermostatically controlled, powered attic vent installed in an attempt to minimize the temperature differential between the first and second floors, approx. 3-5 degrees during the air conditioning season. And yes, we have a hot humid summer - it doesn't snow all year !!!

After reading many of the postings on this forum I believe that I may have venting systems that are opposing each other. The powered vent may be drawing warm air in from the ridge located box vents instead of the soffit vents.

The new roof contractors are recommending closing off the box vents and adding a ridge vent which still seems contradictory to me. Finally, my question, assuming I keep the powered vent and it is operational - it is. Should I have the box vents removed and have a ridge vent installed or should I remove the box vents and not install a ridge vent ? If you feel that the powered vent should be removed in favor of the one of the others, please indicate.

Sorry for the long post but, as you can tell I'M CONFUSED !!!

Thanks,
DLSRK

Old 07-10-05, 05:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

AS water did blow into the ridge vents here they are outlawed here now . i have also heard of the snoe blocking them off and ones with the filterss in them get so much dirt in them that the air cant get out. Id stay with the button vents for sure. You need 1sq ft of vent for every 150 sq ft of attic. half in and half out . For sure keep the power vent fan thereon a tstat also

ED

Old 07-10-05, 05:29 PM
dlsrk
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response.

I'll stay with the powered vent for sure. You don't see any conflict with keeping the button vents as well, since others have indicated that one form of vent or the other should be used and not both.

Thanks.

Old 07-10-05, 07:28 PM
RBRenos
Visiting Guest
Like Ed said there is problems with ridge venting but done right right should work, but its the newest rave and a lot of people dont know how to do it right so stick with the tried and true.

You can use either the standard attic box vents or the powered attic vents, but not both. What happens when you use both is that to meet with the air circulation demand created by the powered vent it will suck air into the attic from the closest source available and that is usually the other attic vents. When this happens you are not getting proper air flow though you attic, and the air will get "stale" at the bottom and may create heating and moisture problems.

When you use only one system then the cooler air must come in from the vented eaves and flow up through the attic and out the vents at the top which is what you want to ensure proper air circulation in your attic.

Old 07-11-05, 06:02 PM
dlsrk
Visiting Guest
Ridge Vents vs. Powered Attic Vent

RBRenos

Thanks for the information. My concerns about the powered vent drawing air form the box vents instead of the soffit vents appears to be confirmed by your comments above. My only follow-up question would be that if I assume the powered vent only operates in the summer months then if the box vents are removed how do I get proper ventilation in the winter months ?

Thanks,
DLSRK

Old 07-11-05, 06:32 PM
Wink

I use button vents and a power vent dont care where the new air comes from as long as it vents the attic
ED

Old 07-12-05, 09:10 PM
Mark_in_Florida
Visiting Guest
I had power vents on a previous home in Central FL. I believe the brand was Lomanco ??? and it was a constant job replacing the fan motors. Lasted about 2-3 yearsr each.
Mark

Old 07-12-05, 09:37 PM
Wink

Dont know why you lost all the motors there . This one on this home is !0 years and still going. I know it runs every day in the summer. Dont know the brand.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: