Ridge vent transition to Hip vent (Coravent)

Old 07-13-05, 02:44 PM
Gehome
Visiting Guest
Ridge vent transition to Hip vent (Coravent)

I have a Hip roof colonial. I am venting the hips with Coravent v300e/fav-20e and I am venting the ridge with either v400e or v300e/fav-20e. The V300e/fav is 5/8 " high while the v400e is 1". Will a ridge vent that is 1/2" taller then the hip vent look fine or will the transition point where they meet look badly? Will the house look odd with two vents of different heights?
I would prefer to use the 1" tall coravent on the ridge for the added performance but only if it's a good option. (13.5 vs 17.5 sq. inches per foot.) Note that the hip and ridge shingle caps are Certainteed medium profile contour ridge, which is the same as the Ridglas medium profile sbs modified product. The roof is Certainteed Landmark TL. Thanks for your help GE

Old 07-13-05, 02:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As long as the covering hip/ridge shingles are the same...it should all blend-in.
Personally...I would not place vents on a hip. Just seems to go against logic....

But thats me.

Old 07-13-05, 03:22 PM
Gehome
Visiting Guest
I was told by coravent that if only the top 50% of the hip is actually vented(bottom 50% appears vented but is not) then there should be no leaks. That way the lower hip vent does not become an air intake. Thoughts?

Old 07-14-05, 03:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't put any venting on the hips, you are asking for problems. I wouldn't install a ridge vent either, i hate them with a passion. There are better options for venting to choose from IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: