Another flat roofing material question -- portico

Old 07-14-05, 09:37 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another flat roofing material question -- portico

I'm having a troublesome portico (formerly flat roof with metal, leaked) repaired. A 3" slope will be added for the roughly 6' width (that's the most that can fit probably).

The contractor wants to use roll roofing. From having worked with it on my parents' summer house, I know that's not enough slope for roll roofing, especially in Houston where it will catch the afternoon sun. The front of the house is brick, the portico is attached to the house via about a half dozen 2X10's which may or may not be (but probably are) the ceiling supports for the second floor. There is a windowsill shortly above where the portico attaches, which is why the available slope is limited.

What would be other good options? This is a very small section (6X12 or so), and it won't collect leaves or anything because of its location. Occasionally there will be foot traffic, to put up Christmas lights and the like. I'm wondering if a one-piece seamed galvanized sheet of metal would be best, or if there are other options.

thanks
Wendy

Old 07-14-05, 10:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wendy,
Depends on which type of "Rolled Roofing" he wants to apply.
Slope should not be an isssue as a slope of 1/2" per foot is sufficent.

Is it rolled roofing, i.e. the cheapest roofing material you can buy..or is he going to use Modified Bitumen? Looks like rolled roofing but far superior. comes in several colors to match other details/roofing.

Metal would be the longer lasting option. If this is a visible element, I would suggest against galvanized. (Tacky!) A coated metal (colors) or copper would look good. Cost more but look much better.

But very slippery....

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: