Roof leaking for 2 years?

Old 07-14-05, 08:22 PM
grandallbrown
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Roof leaking for 2 years?

Thinking about buying a mobile home that is brand new but has been vacent for two years.....its a awsome buy but we found a proublem.....The roof has a leak. It dosent drip but has made the sheetrock on the celling turn into a bubble and i was able to push my finger through it. The company has agreed to fix the roof and celing...my question is could there be mold in the walls or hiding somewhere else? theres none evident on the outside and in the room. the walls feel solid but that dose not mean anything... Any help would be GREAT!
Thanks

Old 07-15-05, 04:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grandallbrown

You are going to have to make the buy decision yourself. But here are some thoughts for you to ponder. If in fact the home is brand new, it should never have been vacant. If there was a leak some time back and it softened the sheetrock, there is a good chance that there is mold and mildew in the ceiling.
See if the company will put it in writing that they will fix all leaks to your satisfaction. If they go sideways on this, then walk away. If it sounds like a terrific deal, walk away. Never buy with your heart, buy with your head.
Good Luck.

Old 07-15-05, 05:27 PM
grandallbrown
Visiting Guest
They are gonna fix the roof and replace the wood that has mildew/mold on it. Long story short but a man bought 6 mobile homes and set them up ready to move in. well......say he got the homes for $50,000 a peice he somehow charged the mortage company like $80,000. Took the money that was left on them and took off.(was a huge scam with severl people involved around here) but anyway the company is now trying to get rid of them and have sold 4 of the 6. But as i said talked to em today and was there when the rapir man(of my choice) was there and he told me straight up it was a easy fix and the way it leaked was PURE luck it didnt destroy half the house. Thanks for the response

Old 07-16-05, 02:15 AM
Grandallbrown

I wish you all the luck in the world, and also a happy home. I will however stick by my statement. If it sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, it might be a duck hunter. Good Luck

Old 07-17-05, 05:00 PM
E
i'm wondering what they mean by "fix the roof"?

Don't know if your potential future home has a flat roof or a pitched one, but basically, nearly all moblie homes I've seen with pitched roofs are not adequately pitched or roofed in a manner adequate for that pitch. In addition, every one I've ever seen which had a skylight of some kind....was of the kind which was nothing more than a plexiglass bubble, gooped to the shingles.

Whatever else may be a problem with the home, the roof is likely to be very substandard, based on what I've seen. But, we all tend to look for bargains. This one may work out for you IF you assert yourself in demanding/requesting

Regarding the roof, if it's the typical 2/12 or 3/12 Mobile home pitch, I'd request that it be underlayed with a minimum of 2 layers of felt, horizontal seams staggered 18 inches, or a modified membrane underlayment, and that both side laps and bottom laps be sealed together with an asphalt caulking prior to shingling. I don't imagine they're thinking about re roofing it though. However, if their idea of "fixing the roof" is to simply goop around a few pipe jacks, etc. I'd assume you're going to need to cough up re roofing money at some point, IF what you want is a roof which does not leak for years.

Old 07-18-05, 07:14 PM
grandallbrown
Visiting Guest
Not exactly sure about about all the stuff you talked about but i know they are cutting out a whole section of roof laying down new wood and then reshingling......i made in the contract all damaged wood must be replaced and they agreed.... It its a double wide but as far as pitch i have no idea....Does that help you understand any better? You seem to know your roofing so im all ears.
thanks

Old 07-18-05, 07:53 PM
Re-Roofing

It sounds like they are doing the job right. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: