leak porch roof

Old 07-16-05, 11:17 PM
yudykaner
Visiting Guest
leak porch roof

I would appreciate advice concerning a leaky porch roof. I have used two coats of O.Henry solarflex coating and used a clear caulk for roof patching and I can't seem to pinpoint the leak. I thought to put a patch over a wider area of the roof (3-5sq feet) but am unsure what kind of product to use.
Also, the wood under the roof needs to be replaced. What is the best way to go about this? I cannot figure out how the wood is attached to the roof. The area of the roof is 7x 14'---should I install separate panels or one big sheet of wood and what kind of wood is best to use.The ceiling has wood strips around the edge and in equidistant places across the area. There is also an area on the outside of the roof where there is rotting and the moisture has eaten the wood away, what is the best way to repair this?There are many parts to this job.

Old 07-17-05, 04:19 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Before you do any wood repairs, you need to permanently fix the leaking. Leaks which occur on flat roofs are usually from the seams, edge flashings, or various abutments/junctures with walls, shingles, and any other protrusions. A leak at the edges, seeping between the flashings and the roof covering can seep several feet sideways or even suck its way uphill a bit. Sometimes the seams can appear to be sealed but are actually open. The solarflex you mentioned is more of a protective surface from UV rays, not that great at actually fixing leaks.

In cases like this, one needs a detailed description of the roof, or photos ...broad perspectives as well as close up shots. Otherwise you couls start to look at the areas I mentioned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: