shelf life/fading of asphalt shingles?

Old 07-17-05, 10:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
shelf life/fading of asphalt shingles?

I am not sure if I can pull all the funds together to do our roof completely this year.My questions are:Can I order all the shingles now and store them in the garage over winter til next summer?What affect will this have on them?Will the shingles that I do put on this year differ in color from the other ones put on later?Someone told me that the "lot number" is important if I want them to match correctly.Also,we live in northern Ohio:what is the latest in the year that I can install a roof so I get the proper seal between the asphalt shingles?Any help in answering these questions would be greatly appreciated.Thanx!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-05, 12:17 PM
Storing shingles that long is not a problem at all, just make sure its inside. Shingles you install this year would look very slightly faded compared to those you install next year. Which isn't a big deal anyway. Shingles need a few days of sun in the colder weather to seal. I wouldn't worry about shingling as long as its above freezing.

Old 07-17-05, 01:46 PM
Marley458

Hellrazor is correct, it will not hurt the shingles if they are stored indoors. I would however purchase them all at the same time form the same lot number like your friend said. Another thing to reduce the fading, is to install the north or east side (the sides away from the sun) this fall, and then the sun side next spring. That way the fading will be minimal. Also another tip. This is a tax tip. You can claim your roof this year as an energy credit and capitol expenditure, for both this year and next year. Alot of people do it this way. Just a thought. A good tax person will help you on this. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: