Cutting vents in plywood soffitt

Old 07-17-05, 12:56 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cutting vents in plywood soffitt

hi gang..me agin with more questions.

home has plywood soffitt, im wanting to cut vents in the plywood for attic ventilation.

currently the only attic vents are gable vents, nothing from the soffitt.

wonder if i can somehow cut vents in plywood soffitt and cover the new vents with maybe a wire mesh or something?

in a few years, if finances allow, im planning to cover the plywood soffitt with vinyl or aluminum, as painting the plywood soffitt is a pain, especially with dark colored brick below(how do you say DRIP).

if this method is possible, wonder what would best tool to cut the vents?

also, how wide and long should the vents be ?

thanks
shimpola

Old 07-17-05, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
Around here, the most common soffit vent is a louver with a mesh screen backing. It measures about 6x12. You just cut the hole and screw it on. The thing is, you need to make sure that your rafters are open into your soffit so that air can pass through there.

If I was cutting them, I'd use my cordless skilsaw. But if you don't have one, I'd suggest a jigsaw. Mark the holes with a template, then drill a 3/8" hole to start the jigsaw in. Just make sure you are placing the vents in between the framing so that your jigsaw is only cutting through plywood, not any framing.

Old 07-17-05, 08:03 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks 4 advice xsleeper..

another idea, as i hadnt thought about what type 'vent' to cut in...

u mentioned the 6" x 12" vent..
would i need one vent between each rafter?

what if i wanted to cut the vents like the 'continous' vent found in aluminum and vinyl?,
to cover the plywood with either the vinyl or aluminum in a year or 2?

thanks
shimp

Old 07-17-05, 08:18 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If gable vents are not large enough for proper attic ventilation they can be enlarged. Soffit vents tend to be used with ridge vent ventilation systems. You need at least one square inch of ventilation per square foot of attic and this number may vary based upon the research you read.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ventilation.htm

http://electrical.aubuchonhardware.c...entilation.asp

Old 07-17-05, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
Proper venting is more than a matter of cutting a bunch of holes in your soffit. It should actually be calculated based on the cubic area of your attic and should be divided evenly between intake and exhaust.

Generally, most houses have a soffit vent every 8 ft or so, and there is a corresponding "can vent" installed in the roof... or sometimes ridge venting... or in your case, gable end vents. But no, you don't need a vent between every rafter. Adding a few can vents in your roof may be a good idea, however. Soffit vents work best when there is a vertical airflow inside the roof.

Gable end vents usually vent the attic space by cross-ventilation, meaning that when the wind blows, one end is intake, while the other end is exhaust.

If you plan to cover the vents in a few years with vented aluminum (or vinyl) soffit, I would suggest that you remove any louvers off the holes you cut in your soffit, since they would be redundant (and can get plugged with lint).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: