Garage [rain water] leak

Old 07-18-05, 02:05 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage [rain water] leak

During heavy rains we get some water seeping into garage along the outer wall. It seems that it's coming either from the corner of the wall and the floor (concrete slab) and/or seeping from the cinderblocks that make the lower part of the wall. It's NOT coming in from under the door.

I tried to seal the corner of the wall and floor by pouring driveway sealant into it, but it didn't help. I also saw just wet cindeblocks, which appear porous to me. Why would anyone cinderblocks as lower part of wall confuses me?

Anyway, the amount of water is not huge - it's not flooding the garage, but possibly amounts to about a gallon or so, when the rain is heavy. How can I stop the water from seeping in?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-05, 06:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 867 Upvotes on 758 Posts
Cinder block is used for foundations because of its ease of use. To prevent water from passing through it various methods are used. Stucco covered with tar [driveway sealer too thin] works well. Painting it with a product like drylok to close the pores can also be effective. Guttering or grade change may also help.

Old 07-19-05, 01:47 PM
grimreaper
Visiting Guest
Cinder block walls are common place especially for foundations. They are a lot cheaper than pouring slab walls. BUT, when this is done, it is also common place to drain any and all water away from the walls with drainage tile, and to waterproof the foundation OUTSIDE before backfilling the area near the walls.
You do not say how long you have had this problem? Has it always been this way? Or did it just start to do it?
I had a similar problem a number of years ago with my garage. I have a cement driveway, and the water would sit on it when there was a really HEAVY RAIN, and it would seep into the sill plate of the garage. Over the years it simply rotted it away behind the siding and I didn't see it. The only way I could put a band aid on it was to calk outside the garage between the cement, and the sill plate. Later I took off the siding, cut out the old sill plate, and installed a new one with the proper water proofing on it. Since then I have had no problem.
What I am saying is, you MAY not be able to cure your problem from INSIDE, you may have to look outside for the answer. Also if this problem is recent, and you have a down spout for your gutters near the problem area, I would check to make sure it is intact, and directs the water away from the walls. Many times they break on the wall side, and as we don't usually look at them when it is raining, we don't notice them until it is too late.
Good luck to you.
Grim..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: