reshingle now or repair leak and reshingle later?

Old 07-18-05, 07:37 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
reshingle now or repair leak and reshingle later?

I am a first time home owner, the roof of my townhouse is 17 years old. Last weekend, I had a small leak, a water bucket in the attic was my temp fix. I had 3 contractors coming in for estimate, all their estimates are over 20% higher than what my neighbor got last fall. Does it usually cost MORE in summer to replace a roof than in either spring or fall? How much does a roof repair (small leak) usually cost? Maybe I should get it repaired now and wait until this fall to get the it replaced?

I also have a question on the plywood under shingles. One contractor told me that the plywood boards (fire proof) between townhouse units are no longer up to the current building code, I must replace them, and it costs extra 1500. My question is, do I have to replace the boards (they are in good condition now), or I can do away with the old boards and save myself 1500. By the way, the townhouse is 17 years old in PA.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-05, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Roofers are busiest in the summer, so I'm not suprised that their bids are higher now that it's peak season. Their rationale is: I don't need the work, so I'll bid it high, and if I get the job, it'll be worth my while.

I'd fix the leak and keep the bucket there as a backup plan. Since you didn't describe the source of the leak, I have no idea what it would take to fix it.

Regarding the fire break, that sounds insane. That would mean that every house in town that doesn't meet current standards needs to be brought up to current codes? Preposterous!

Old 07-18-05, 08:29 PM
Reshingle now ?

There are a couple of more things you need to know also. You cannot compare your cost vs your neighbor. Well you can, but you will not get the right answer. 20% higher. That could very well be. Asphalt shingles take oil. Oil has gone up. Wages have gone up, and so has insurance, especially in your area. So 20% is really not very much. Next, there is no way of knowing if you have the right or wrong boards or if they need replacing until you strip the roof. Once the shingles are off, then you can see what you really have. Now think of this. Lets say you pay a roofer $200 to fix your leak. He does, he takes your money, and the leak is not fixed after the next big rain. Now the water comes in and ruins your ceiling sheetrock, and it now costs you another $200 to fix that. I would re-roof your roof now. No matter what anyone says. This is the time of the year that you do roofs. A roof is not a place to save $200.00. If your existing roof is 17 years old, it is my guess it is at the end of its life. Remember "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" Good Luck

Old 07-19-05, 08:07 AM
V
more info

I only compare the estimates for replacing shingles only. So the over 20% is pretty acurate.

As for the type of leak, I saw from attic a small black dot on the roof plywood board. Water drips down from that dot during heavy rain. Don't know how much it will cost to do the repair. Most probably I will replace the whole roof to get a peace of mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: