Low Slop - Rubber or Shingles

Old 07-20-05, 11:22 AM
nate6472
Visiting Guest
Low Slop - Rubber or Shingles

I added 900SF on to the house with a shed roof. The length is 13 feet and the rise is less than 2 feet. A roofer matched my arch. shingles and I have had leaks ever since. I am taking bids for fixing and the first roofer by said the slope is too low for arch shingles and the only way is rubber. I got shafted by the first roofer ($2K worth) and want to get opinions from others in the industry. Thank you. Nate, Macon GA

Old 07-20-05, 04:25 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I suspect anyone saying "rubber is the only way to go".
Your pitch is definitely to low for any shingle, but in addition to rubber, there are "modifieds" available which also can work great. The point is, what you "need" is some kind of durable covering, of the flat roof material variety.

Why not get other estimates? Seek out a number of roofers, then question them carefully about the specifics they would propose. All roof materials can probably be considered to have drawbacks or "short comings". But rubber and modifieds are both fine products in their own right. So, assuming the products are good, it comes down to who really knows what they're doing? Good luck with that part, finding someone like that, that is.

There's no short cut to finding a knowledgable person or outfit. You should request refferences, going back at least several years, then actually contact them and ask them pointed questions about the contractor and the jobs that were done. Were there any problems during the job? Any problems after the job? If there were problems before or during, how did the contractor deal with them?

My guess is, if you call 5 roofers, you might find 1 who is competent to install a good problem-free job. This is only based on what we've seen over the years around here. It may not be as bad where you're at.

Also, just because someone's "been in business" for awhile, it doesn't neccessarily follow that he/she is competent or honest. And I don't encourage anyone to reject considering someone simply because they've just started out on their own. But, because you've already been burned once, that's why I'd recomend looking at someone who's been around awile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: