Installing EPDM roof

Old 07-20-05, 11:53 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing EPDM roof

Hello,

I recently bought an older home which has a small section of the roof which is flat (~ 16 ft X 25 ft). The inspector said it should be removed and rebuilt but the contractor prices seem too high for such a small job. I would like to know if there are any books which entail how to put down a flat roof, in particular the EPDM roof. Also, is it even possible for someone to lay their own flat roof or is that a job left to the professionals?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-05, 03:58 PM
E
I think an EPDM roof is actually one flat roof a homeowner COULD install successfully, as long as you follow the instructions. The instructions are available, for free, from the various manufacturers who make it...like Mulehide, Firestone or Genflex.
Just look them up online and follow the links to EPDM, or rubber flat roofs. And go to the "contractor" or "professional" pages.

By the way, when looking at an estimate for so-called small flat roof jobs, you need to focus on the proccess, not the price. In fact, generally speaking, the smaller the job, the greater the percentage there is of the tedious timer-consumming ALL IMPORTANT detail/flashing and other tie-n work. And in my experience seeing many of these small areas, in fact all kinds of small jobs, whether flat or pitched, the details and flashing work are often "slopped over", not having had the attention paid to them that's really needed if what you want is a problem-free roof for years to come.

Rule of thumb for me is, the smaller the flat roof, the greater the cost is per sq. ft. of installation....sometimes several times the cost per ft. This isn't just an excuse to charge more, but a true reflection of what it takes in labor and expertise to do the job right.

Old 07-24-05, 03:16 PM
B
Smile Rolled roofing or shingles

I am in the process of enclosing my covered patio and making it into addtional living space for a rather large family. The patio is approximately 21 x 18 and is situated within a 90 degree area where a pitched roof from the main part of the house meets a pitched roof from an add-on den. Presently the patio is covered with fiber glass which until a few months ago had pretty frequent leaks. I added a 10 in strip of flashing underneath the last row of shingles coming off the den. There was already some flashing on the other part of the roof. That seems to have worked pretty well. The leaking seems to have stopped except for a nail hole or two. Otherwise not much problem.

My question now is how to adapt the roof to the new addition. Should I keep the flat roof style and simply switch out the fiber glass and cross pieces (2x2s) for plywood, felt paper and rolled roofing OR should I go to some kind of pitched roof. I have talked to a few roofers, and it seems each had a different idea about how to build a pitched roof.

My latest thought if I go for a pitched roof is to go up higher onto the main part of the house to get an adequate pitch and from the backyard corner where the den roof meets the patio cover run a diagonal up the side of the den roof to the new roof line.

Or should I stick with rolled roofing since it seems to be doing fine at this point. It seems that by adding a solid layer of plywood with felt paper and rolled roofing, that should make it pretty water tight.

What are your thoughts? Is my description clear enough??

Thanks,

Don

Old 07-24-05, 07:38 PM
Mtmills

What Ed says is correct about a roofing contractor. Also about the rubber roofing. However, there is one thing he did not say. Rubber roofing is very heavy. It would take several guys just to put it on your roof. Next there is a glue that needs to be put on the roof, an let set for a few minutes then the roofing put down. It has to go down just right. Now, you will need more then one piece and it will take a joint specially made for the roofing. These are all very technical things, that takes experience to do correctly. If it were me, I would have a professional do the work. And in addition, I would do as the Inspector recommended. Remember, he is a professional also and he knows what is needed. To do something different may end up costing you more in the end. Good Luck