Roofing Installation Questions

Old 07-21-05, 10:08 AM
Julie ACW
Visiting Guest
Roofing Installation Questions

I have just had my roof replaced with a 30 year architectural shingle by a roofing contractor and am concerned about the installation. Approximately six roofing nails are highly visible to me (slightly below the "nail zone") and I am concerned that this could cause water leakage in the future.

I have a cape cod style home and the flashing in front of the dormers is placed behind the siding but angled up over the shingles (e.g. is not covered by shingles on the roof)?

The ventilation pipe boots have visible roofing nails at the bottom of the boots; will this cause water leakage in the future? I asked the roofer about this and he said that the boots are "self sealing" thus leakage is not an issue.

Can anyone give me advice on these three issues? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Old 07-21-05, 01:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1. Nails shouldn't be visible anyplace on the shingles. Did they even bother to put roofing cement on them?

2. That flashing belongs on top the shingles in front of the dormers. Dormers are something i keep far away from, someone else can add more to that.

3. Not acceptable, nails should not be visible at the boots. Ditto on the roofing cement?

Does your local municipality require permits and inspections for reroofing? If so, i would call them and inquire about these problems. If it has to be inspected once its finished, i would question the inspector.

Old 07-22-05, 11:02 AM
Julie ACW
Visiting Guest
No, unfortunately our local municipality does not require permits and inspections for reroofing. Thus, I must resort to acquiring roofing information myself

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: