Capping the peak

Old 07-27-05, 04:04 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Capping the peak

What is the proper way to cap the peak, cut the shingles even with the peak then cap. Overlap one side then cap or overlap both sides then cap. Thanks

Old 07-27-05, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,920 Upvotes on 1,724 Posts
I have always cut the shingles back from the peak, then installed the hip & ridge. I don't want the extra shingle thickness that you get when you fold them over.

Old 07-27-05, 01:02 PM
No way is wrong as long as it lays right.

Old 07-28-05, 12:02 PM
S
Talking

Thanks for the replys.

Old 07-28-05, 05:12 PM
Lap is best

I suggest to overlap shingles at top before ridge cap. Since the ridge has a horizontial overlap (flat), if you are in a snow area, melting water can be forced under the caps. The overlap of the shingles first provides protection agaist this horizontial water.

Old 07-30-05, 08:10 AM
S
Originally Posted by Hooter
I suggest to overlap shingles at top before ridge cap. Since the ridge has a horizontial overlap (flat), if you are in a snow area, melting water can be forced under the caps. The overlap of the shingles first provides protection agaist this horizontial water.
I was getting to put the last row on one side and the row already lapped over is laying well. The last row will just come over the ridge a few inches so the cap will lay good. Maine has some snow, I am going to cap over the laps. With just one side lapped over it survived a 4 inch rain storm with no leakage. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: