Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

LowSlopeLeakingAgainThanksToTreeRootsLiftingFloor-Advice is appreciated

Old 07-27-05, 08:57 AM
SeeSherry
Visiting Guest

I have a home with a low slope roof. The home was built in the 60's and the roof was replaced about 6 years ago. The home was built with a small (10foot) lanai area and somewhere in the past 40 years it was enlarged to about 25 feet in length. You can still see the soffit vents from the original roof line on the inside of the lanai. It has a gravel roof and we noticed a small leak on the lanai (outdoor screened patio) area about a year ago that we threw some tar on and the leak stopped. Well, we've since removed 4 very large oak trees located about 3 inches from the building because we discovered that the tree roots were lifting the concrete floor of the lanai and causing it to crack. We've exposed the tree roots and there's a clear crack along the roots path. Basically we're going to have to remove the center section of the concrete floor to destroy the root sections underneath. Well to make matters worse, the roof is leaking in several places now along that soffit line where the "original" roof was joined to the addition.

My husband is interested in doing a "torch" job (he saw our neighbors doing that and I think he just wants an excuse to play around with a torch).

We're going to be replacing the roof in the next 2/3 years to give it more slope and put shingles on it. Any suggestions on making repairs to the roof to hold us over until we replace it would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-27-05, 01:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Torch downs are not a DIY job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: