Protecting asphalt shingles ??

Old 07-28-05, 09:28 AM
Naeshi
Visiting Guest
Protecting asphalt shingles ??

Last year we got hit by two hurricanes, Frances and Jeanne, here on the Treasure Coast in Florida. I live in Port St Lucie. My architectural type asphalt shingles, which were installed six years ago, held up great as I did not lose a single shingle, but my ridge vent failed allowing wind driven torrential rains to penetrate the attic area and soak the insulation. After the hurricane passed I checked the ridge vent and noticed that three of the end caps were missing. I hired a professional roofer who removed the old vent and installed a new low profile shingle over roof vent. As I said the asphalt shingles appear fine except for some granular loss which I noticed in the gutters.
A couple of weeks ago I attended a fair on how to prepare for hurricane season where numerous products were presented to the public. One product in particular caught my attention. It is a sealant, which is sprayed on, creates a membrane and guarentees to protect your roof against Algae,Mold, milldew, and granular loss, thus prolonging the life of your roof. It also claims to protect against wind uplift. The name of the product is called Roof-Guard 101 tm and is made by Enviroseal Corp. The web address is www.enviroseal.com and sales @ enviroseal.com . I have mentioned this product to my roofing contractor and he advises me that my roof is in good condition and not to waste my money. also he says that similar products have been around for years and that the outfits that sell them seem to disappear or change their names or go out of business. The estimate that I got for labor and materials for 3547 Area SF roof was $2660.00. Please, if anyone has experience with this product contact me at triget@gate.net. Thank You.
Naeshi.

Old 07-28-05, 05:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your roofer is giving you good advice. Run, dont walk away from this idea. First of all, the shingle manufacturers in your area have been adding an algae/mold inhibitor to the granule surface of shingles for years. 2nd, you have a roof that has withstood 2 hurricanes and didnt blow off. Adding a coating may signifigantly alter the physical dynamics of the shingles.( i.e. It could cause them to curl and blow off) I could go on, but you get the drift. Here is what I recommend - Contact the maker of your shingles and ask them. they likely have a website and I know they all have great tech people. If they tell you to recoat with this stuff, I will fly down there and help!!

Old 07-29-05, 04:09 PM
Dope on A Roof

I would throw that infomation in the garbage. Your shingles acted as they are supposed during a storm. These spray on roof scams have been around for years. Don't get hooked on them. Have a good day.

Old 08-17-05, 11:28 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Roof Protection that is Proven

Your comments about this new polymer technology really has you in the stone age, just where the roof manufactures want you. RoofGuard 101 has been proven in both actual field applications, and in Florida Building Code authorized laboratories as well. Detailed copies of the test results are available upon request. RoofGuard 101 has been proven to increase the wind uplift rating by more than 215% with wind driven rain of 8.8 inches per hour with NO water leakage. We may never know how much wind a 60 mph shingle can handle with RoofGuard 101 on it because the wind tunnels in Florida are maxed out at 110 mph. Sucessful instalations have been documented over an eight year period with no granular loss or algae growth. Yes, it is true that shingle manufactures use AR (Algae Resistant) compounds in about 60% of their finished product, but real life experience shows its effectiveness for four to six years at best. Our polymers utilize technology we developed over several years of research and development for the US Army Corps of Engineers. Our long strand cross linking polymers have demonstrated remarkable sucess in geotechnical engineering for the US Military and now are incorporated into our line of sealers, one of them being RoofGuard 101. There have been others in the past attempting to formulate a product for this application with little or no success.

This thread has been edited.

No Ads, Surveys, Advertisements, Solicitations or Pyramid Schemes Allowed In The Forum Topics.

Advertisements within the forum topics or within replies posted or within personal signatures or including email addresses within replies or signatures is not allowed on this web site. Surveys, Ads, Advertisements, Solicitations to market products, services or to hire person(s) to perform work is not allowed in any forum topics.

Signatures cannot contain pictures, links, ads and or advertisements of any type. Members may include a favorite quote, phrase, personal note and or reminder, as part of the signature.

Posting email addresses for others to contact to obtain information or to market products or directing anyone to personal web sites which can market products or solicit services, etc are not allowed. There Are No Exceptions.

Members posting any of the above or similar, anywhere on the web site are doing so in violations to the policy and are subjected to suspension or banning.

No topics are to be used for personal gain using any method. Allowing any of the above degrades the entire web site for all concerned parties. Read the forum sticky note for additional detailed information.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 08-17-05 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Forum Posting Violation - No Advertising or Soliciation
Old 08-17-05, 12:11 PM
I happen to like the stone age, us neanderthals like waiting until someone else tests new products. Then when they fail, we grunt and chisel a "we told you so" stone to set on your doorstep.

If you install this product on a roof and the manufacturer voids your warranty, what good is that product? Its just like adding a performance chip to your truck and then expecting Ford to replace your engine because you altered it and it blew up.

Old 08-17-05, 12:20 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Roof Warranties

While it is true that application of anything to a roof voids either partial of full warranty, you may want to read the fine print on a manufacturers warranty. In my discussions with Owens Corning and GAF, their warranties are 100% for 12 months, then on the 13th. month, no labor is included, only a makeshift prorated warranty for up to 60 months. They don't even have to replace an asphalt shingle for you to instyall that is the same color. GAF says it only voids the algae warranty.

Last edited by Jack the Contractor; 08-17-05 at 06:23 PM. Reason: No advertising allowed in this Forum
Old 08-17-05, 01:49 PM
Enviroseal

Your long response, Was That An Advertisement ? Looked like an ad, read like an ad, must have been an ad. Thats a no, no.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: