Foam vs Tile roof in AZ

Old 08-03-05, 06:28 AM
tarponslayer
Visiting Guest
Foam vs Tile roof in AZ

My wife and I are looking into building a house and have some questions about flat foam roofs vs traditional rafter/tile roofs. Do they cost the same to build? Which last longer? I hear its taking 6 mo or more to get concrete tiles here in Arizona. We were told we could save money by using a flat roof and that they have longer warranty's then tile. Any truth to that? Thanks

Old 08-03-05, 04:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since I am very familiar with Arizona roofs, I will take a stab at this one. Foam roofs require a flat or low slope design. This is cheaper to build. Also harder to access for any later changes, such as a ceiling fan, etc.....A flat roof requires more maintenance and a foam flat roof is a maintenance pig. A flat roof is not as attractive to buyers if you sell...(Ask any realtor) A PROPRLY installed tile roof should remain trouble free for 25 or more years... The key here is PROPERLY INSTALLED.......A foam, roof requires expensive recoating every 5-7 years...Over the 25 year period, you will more for the foam roof than for tile when you factor maintenance......Do you homework, contact Arizona Roofing Contractors Assoc (ARCA) and get info on proper install.......Then, pay the extra now and get a tile roof........Hire a highly qualified roofing contractor since the money spent here will be protecting everything else you build.........

Old 08-03-05, 05:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you are talking about a commercial style spray foam roof, run FAR FAR away. We have those at work and they are a constant pain.

Old 08-04-05, 06:47 AM
tarponslayer
Visiting Guest
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.... Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: