Cobra Ridge Vent

Old 08-04-05, 05:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cobra Ridge Vent

Hello,
I recently had a roofer install a ridge vent on my house, and he chose the Cobra ridge vent. After taking a close look at the result, both from the attic and the roof, I am concerned that there is virtually no gap that would allow for reasonable air flow. Does anyone have experience with this product? Thanks.

Steve

Old 08-04-05, 06:02 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skirincich
Hello,
I recently had a roofer install a ridge vent on my house, and he chose the Cobra ridge vent. After taking a close look at the result, both from the attic and the roof, I am concerned that there is virtually no gap that would allow for reasonable air flow. Does anyone have experience with this product? Thanks.

Steve
hi
Cobra vents and other types of mesh ridge vents are also known to commonly fail by their poor design.

Dust and debris too easily clogs the mesh and the vent becomes quickly useless.

But a different type of ridge venting system other than Coabra vent is a better long term solution.
The primary problem with some ridge vents is their lack of an external baffle. The metal ridge vents usually have this. I personally cannot recall ever having seen on without external baffles. The baffles are the little up-turned lip at the bottom of the vents. How an externally baffled ridge vents works is, as the wind passes over the baffle, it creates low pressure, drawing air from the attic. The faster the wind moves over the baffle, the greater the pressure it creates, inducing more air from the attic. On the other hand, with a vent without an external baffle, as the wind hits it, a possitive pressure is produced, thereby greatly inhibiting the proper air flow.

Call the roofer and have them replace it with other type better of ridge vent

Old 08-04-05, 05:39 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
he did cut a hole for the vent, right? at least a 1 and 1/2 inch strip on both sides? also ridge vent will only work if the soffit or at the very least the gable ends are vented. heat rises!
mesh one do clog up with dust after a long while but you have less of a chance of bugs sneaking in.

Old 08-05-05, 12:22 PM
Daddy Freddy
Visiting Guest
pgtek- what kind of new system do you suggest? i to am looking for answers. how about the cobra vent 11 or the Shingle vent11 from Air vent ?

thanks
john

Old 08-08-05, 06:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: