sealant & gutter leak over front door

Old 08-09-05, 03:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question sealant & gutter leak over front door

I have a couple of questions --

First, is there a way to tell if sealant has been applied to a roof? I bought a house last summer and the inspector told me I needed sealant applied to the roof. Apparantly the old owners had a new roof put in, but didn't finish the job. So, I hired a contractor to do it last fall. I'd also hired him to install "L" flashing along the trim, but when I cleaned the gutters yesterday I saw that he'd only applied the flashing to the back of the house, not the front. Now I'm wondering if he even applied sealant, but I'm not sure if there's a way to tell.

Second, when it rains really hard, we get a massive downpour of rain right over our front door. We have a flat front house w/the roof slanting to the front and back of the house (the front door is in the center of the frame). The gutter is clean and seams firmly attached so I'm not sure what's causing this. Could it be because of the missing "L" flashing?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-05, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
Hard telling. I'd check the downspout elbows with a garden hose to see if they are plugged.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: