Water in soffitt area??

Old 08-10-05, 04:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water in soffitt area??

I have noticed water in vinyl soffit area of my roof. After a long rain period, I noticed it drips down the side of the house. I've had a suspect shingle replaced and done some caulking, but the water presence continues.

The house has a hip roof and about 4 years old. I have tried going into the attic, but it is big challence as it is hard to navigate through all of the insulation, roof trusses, pipes, etc to the edget. When I was in the attic, I did not see a presence of water on the plywood, but that does not mean it is not rollinig down some way.

I don't want to keep calling out for repairs unless I can first determine the true cause. It is possible the water is getting into the soffit at the area where the shingles meet the gutter and the facia board?

I'm really stumped.....any tips would be appreciated to get this nailed down.

Thanks
Tom

Old 08-10-05, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
Yes. Water most commonly will get behind the fascia cover at some point and then travel along the soffit toward the house. Water gets in the fascia cover either because it does not extend behind the gutter apron entirely, or because the gutter apron is not lapped a sufficient distance. The first thing I would check is to look over the back of your gutter and see if the gutter apron extends over the gutter. Then look to see if the fascia cover extends underneath the gutter apron. Then look around for seams in the gutter apron, and where they are located relative to your leak.

When houses have gutters on them, a lot of contractors will just run their fascia cover up to the spikes & farrals, which leaves several inches of your fascia uncovered and unflashed.

Old 08-11-05, 08:39 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips....

So that I don't have to go into that attic again, is it possible to have the leak at a point above the gutter (via shingle) and have the water present in the soffit area via water running down underneath the roof someplace? If so, what are the signs to look for, such as dark plywood, etc,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: