Snow and ice shield

Old 08-11-05, 06:55 AM
paulam2
Visiting Guest
Snow and ice shield

Can someone tell me something about snow and ice shield?

I live in Chicago - hot, humid summers and cold winters - and I'm getting ready to re-side my house.

I've seen lots of references to snow and ice shield, but nothing that says exactly what it is, where and if I should put it on my house, and where it goes in relation to the sheathing, tyvek, flashing around the windows, etc.

Old 08-11-05, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
you can read this
http://doityourself.com/waterproof/iceandwater.htm
also this
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/r...e/prep/dry.htm

Grace Ice & Water ShieldŽ
The leading self-adhered roofing underlayment, Grace Ice & Water Shield offers premium leak protection for sloped roofs in climates subject to ice dams and wind-driven rain. It is applied to the roof deck prior to the application of the finished roof covering, which is most often shingles but can also be tile or metal. The membrane goes under shingles and seals around nails that hold the shingles in place, so water that doesn't drain properly cannot penetrate the roof. It also creates a weather-tight barrier against wind-driven rains that cause shingles to lift and leak. Affordable and easy to install, it provides added peace of mind for many years, even in the most brutal winters.
DATA SHEET PHOTO 12 REASONS WHY BROCHURE
Grace Ice & Water ShieldŽ Strips
Features the same superior performance of Grace Ice & Water Shield in convenient pre-cut strips. Available in 75-foot rolls in widths of 12 or 18 inches.

Old 08-11-05, 09:47 AM
paulam2
Visiting Guest
Thanks. That was very helpful. I had the impression that it was something I would use on the sides before putting on siding.

Old 08-11-05, 01:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tyvek goes on your walls and Ice&Water Shield goes on your roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: