Problem with enclosing exposed rafters?

Old 08-13-05, 04:54 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with enclosing exposed rafters?

Not sure if I got the word right, rafter, but the lumber that supports the roof and is visible from looking up the side of an exterior wall. These boards are 2" X 6" and run about 6 to 12 inches out from the top of the walls. I think the plywood is nailed to these boards and then the plywood covered with tar paper and finally shingles.

Anyway, I will need to paint in a year or so and someone once told me that instead painting each "box" (formed by the facia, the rafters, and the underside of the roof as it sticks out from the side of the house), he would instead nail a long board that kind of seals the entire underside of the rafters or whatever. Now he just ran a roller along the board, now the underside of the roof that sticks out from the side of the house, and done!

If this description makes sense then I would like to know if there are any problems with putting a board up to make the painting easier. One downside I see is that the painted surfaces that the board covers up is now inaccessible. Over 15 to 30 years, the paint might peel off, exposing the wood to termites. Then again, the surfaces are no longer exposed as much to the elements, so maybe the paint would last?

Old 08-15-05, 03:24 PM
Sounds like a good idea but would't you need to vent the enclosed area.

Old 08-15-05, 05:23 PM
Enclosing Rafters

The area you are referring to is called the soffitt. Yes, you can nail plywood strips and cover them up. If you do this make sure you put some soffitt vents in them. You will have to cut them in the plywood. I have no idea of what kind house you have, but you might think about installing metal fascia and soffitt. They come in several colors, and will never require painting. If painted, your soffits and fascia will require painting about every 10 years. Maybe less. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: