Roof sagging in spots.

Old 08-15-05, 05:12 PM
RhoneRanger
Visiting Guest
Roof sagging in spots.

My brother is in the construction industry, and is looking to buy a house. Since he is not very internet savvy, I told him I would do some research.

Anyway, on the house he wants to build, the roof sags in spots. He said this is due to the 'trusses' (I say trusses, because he said they are not trusses, but are hand built) are bowed from stress.

He said he knows you can jack up a roof and build a frame around the trusses to fix this.

I am wondering how you go about this? Is there a guide, or can someone give me a little help?

Thank yoU!

Old 08-15-05, 06:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sagging Roof

I am not sure who is correct, but the house has stick built rafters not trusses. There are many different methods of correcting the sagging, depending on what kind of rafter was built. If your brother is in construction, I am sure he and a couple of friends can figure out the best way. I would have a plan however before buying the house. Good Luck

Old 08-15-05, 09:10 PM
RhoneRanger
Visiting Guest
Thank you!

What I was looking for here is how to correct it properly. Is it only a matter of jacking up the rafters and reinforcing them? If so, with what? 2x6 on each side?

These were the questions I was looking for, more specifics.

Thank you!

Old 08-15-05, 10:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rhone Ranger

No, it is not that simple. They will have to be supported from below. But without knowing the style of rafter that is there, it is impossible to tell you how to do it. Anything would only be a guess on our part, and we do not want to guess. If your brother has construction experience, it should be easy for him to look at the type of rafter and determine this.

Old 08-16-05, 11:35 AM
RhoneRanger
Visiting Guest
He said that there is a support beam in the middle spanning the entire roof, 2x12's running along the roof to support the plywood, and 2x12s along the sides of the roof, all tied together There is no truss or rafters.

Some of the 2x12s that support the plywood are bowed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: