What do I use to lighten roof?

Old 08-17-05, 10:55 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello. The asphalt shingles on my house are just a few years old, but have gone from light grey to almost black. Since I live in Florida, with temperatures in the upper nineties every day, I thought painting the shingles with grey or white paint would help lower my cooling bills. I would like to know if I need a special roofing paint or something else for this job and how much a gallon it is? Also, would using a roller instead of a brush be better? Thanks in advance. jcritchie

Old 08-18-05, 06:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
check the big lumber store they have roof coatting for mobile home
u could used that over the shingles.
used a plush roller and roll it on

Old 08-18-05, 10:29 AM
If you "paint" them... you'll wish you didn't.
The asphalt (petroleum product) will leech through the coating as it tries to evaporate.

A good cleaning might work best!

Old 08-18-05, 01:05 PM
Putting that on your shingles is not a good idea. When the coating starts to crack from age it will crack the shingles underneath too.

Old 08-18-05, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

How about venting the area to keep the attic cooler? Your roof will also last lomger.

Dick

Old 08-18-05, 05:23 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
first i lve near st. pete/tampa, never ever put a coating on your roof. because asphalt needs to breathe so to speak. elasocrap coating will cause your roof to rot or if you are using it to patch a leak , the leak will move causing more problems
your roof is only a couple of years old? and its a silver lining? first call the roofer, then call the manufactuner. almost every shingle i have laid is fungus and alge resitant. the shingles them selves should have a warranty against this.
if that fails use chlorine bleach and i believe somethig called tsp(?). look it up under gaf or certiteeds site i think youll find the recipe there
hope this helps

Old 08-19-05, 01:41 PM
J
Hello again. Thanks to you all for your advice. It helped me to avoid some big and costly mistakes. I went to the hardware store near me and the man there said he had the same problem with his roof. Black mold. He recommended a gallon of a product called Selig House and Siding Cleaner Concentrate. One gallon makes up to twenty gallons. You can spray it on your roof from the ground using a garden hose with a sprayer attachment and it kills the mold. You let the rain wash the mold off. It takes a few weeks for the roof to look normal again (he said it took him seven weeks) but he said it works really well and doesn't hurt the roof. I just got through spraying my roof with it and I should notice some improvement in a week or two. Thanks again. jcritchie

Old 08-22-05, 05:00 PM
TomFromFLA
Visiting Guest
You should thank your hardware man, good advice. NEVER paint an asphalt shingle. If your roof is only 4yrs old, you should call the installer/manufacturer first and make sure they are mold resistant, But since you too are in fla. resistant does not mean mold proof is prob. the answer you will get. and if you have trees shading you roof most of the day, you'll never stop it without treatment as you did. I hope it works, and reply if it did, or didnt, i would like to know as i fix and sell houses here in fla. and it would be a good tool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: