Cheapest re-roofing solution for Shed

Old 08-18-05, 02:36 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cheapest re-roofing solution for Shed

Long story short, I have a baseball sized hole in my shingle roof of my shed. I have to repair that hole and reshingle the whole roof b/c it is already double shingled and falling apart.

I was told the shingles that come on a roll are really cheap. I also already have a large roll of tar paper to use. Can anyone tell me how to go about apply shingles on rolls? I was told I would need to put a tar layer down?

Please correct me if I have this incorrect -

-Remove old shingles and paper,
-Use circular saw to cut out hole in plywood
-Replace with new plywood
-Nail paper into place (how much overlap should there be as I go up?)
- Spread tar onto surface
- Lay first row of shingle at bottom and work up

Any advice or corrections? I'm not a roofer, and the shed is not big, I'm trying to save $600 by doing this myself. I'm fixing to sell, so I what cheap and simple

Old 08-18-05, 04:24 PM
I think its easier for a novice to shingle a shed roof over using glue down roll roofing. Rolled roofing isn't a one person job either, shingling is. See what a few others say before changing your mind.

Old 08-18-05, 07:27 PM
C
use regular shingles. its way faster and most likely cheaper

Yup----Remove old shingles and paper,
Yup----Use circular saw to cut out hole in plywood
Yup----Replace with new plywood
yup, about 3 inches give or take. Felt paper has printed lines on it.----Nail paper into place (how much overlap should there be as I go up?)
forget this step--- Spread tar onto surface
Bottom right hand corner with regular shingles.--- Lay first row of shingle at bottom and work up

good luck

Old 08-22-05, 05:31 PM
TomFromFLA
Visiting Guest
just a note, since you are not a roofer,

if you go with shingles - the first row of shingles needs a starter row (starter course), cut 3 inches off the side of one shingle, place it on the bottom corner with your 1/2 inch to 1 inch overhang UPSIDE DOWN (not face down) so the tabs point to the peak of the roof. then run your first row the right way covering your starter course and follow the instructions on shingle wrapper.

if you go with roll roofing- depending on the size of your shed, you may be able to cut it on the ground and make it a bit easier to work with. and you need only to tar the edges, and nails, BUT it will be ugly, and is a messy, no fun job. (if you simply look at a bucket of tar, it's already all over your clothes)

GO WITH THE SHINGLES, just as cheap (ask for discontinued brands or stock at a roofing supply co. not your hardware store)

Old 08-23-05, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Definately go with shingles. It is cheaper and quicker.

This posting has been edited.

DoItYourself.com Community Forums cannot be used for personal and or commercial gain. Posts should contribute to the discussion; provide useful, helpful and or professional advice. Posts containing any type of content which provides compensation by any means or method through any affiliate programs, ads, advertisements, sales, referrals, redirects, chain letters, contests, personal web sites and/or pyramid schemes, etc, are prohibited.

Any ads, advertisements, contact information, etc. within the forum topics and/or within personal signatures is strictly prohibited. Ads, Advertisements, Surveys, Solicitations to market products, services and/or requests to hire person(s) to perform work, spam and/or chain letters, contests, pyramid schemes, phone or fax numbers, business and/or email addresses, links to personal web sites, business and/or company names used as registered member names, etc, are not allowed in any forum topics.

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 08-31-05 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Forum Policy Violations

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: