Nail placement

Old 08-18-05, 06:34 PM
dryflyangler
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Nail placement

1st timer mistake. Recently built a 12x16 shed with a 6:12 roof. While installing the shingles I mis-read the packaging and placed the nails in the right place, just above the tar strip instead of below. They are common 3 tab asphalt shingles. I am 2/3 of the way done....Is this going to be a huge problem??

Old 08-19-05, 08:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
usually there 4 nail per shingle sheet
on at each end and one over each tab and there place over the seal black line

Old 08-19-05, 08:56 AM
dryflyangler
Visiting Guest
So all 4 nails should go above the adhesive line? The packaging (and on the Owens Corning Website) show the nails going below the adhesive and above the slits. I placed them at the right spacing but above the adhesive line. Or can it go either way?

Thanks!!

Old 08-22-05, 09:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just above the cut outs...1/2 inch or so is perfect A little more....well the wind warranty only covers the first 5 years anyway...should be fine!

Old 08-22-05, 10:46 AM
dryflyangler
Visiting Guest
Thanks shinstr! I started putting them in the right spot and have just one more row and then the ridge cap.

Old 08-22-05, 05:17 PM
TomFromFLA
Visiting Guest
are you in florida?

new law here in florida requires 6 nails per shingle (hurricane overkill). and all edges must be sealed with tar. but as long as you have one on each end and one above each keyway you should be fine, a little high i wouldnt worry too much for shed but when you do your house bring em down a bit.

Old 08-28-05, 01:35 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
See, it depends on where your roof is. Around here, wind strong enough to knock over a plastic trash can is very rare, and "storms"... well locals call them storms, but they still don't knock over the trash cans.

The *only* times I've seen shingles lifted in Vancouver is when people failed to prevent raccoons from climbing on the roof.

A North America wide standard is silly.

Where are you dryflyangler? Are there trees around the shed?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: