Silver reflective paint on rubber roof?

Old 08-19-05, 04:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Silver reflective paint on rubber roof?

Okay, so we recently had a leaking roof on our very old flat roof. I haven't the foggiest what company manufactured the tar or the rubber roof sheeting that was used to repair it. Needless to say, it's now waterproof! My mother, however, is under the impression that it needs to be painted silver to deflect heat and make our home all the more comfortable in the summer time. I personally don't want to touch it, but if you all explain how it may be a good idea, then I'd be more than willing to apply it myself and save roofing contractor money. So what's the story withthis practice and what information do I need to know to do the job myself? Any and all help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 08-19-05, 05:42 PM
Silver Paint Rubber Roof

Before I would put anything on a rubber roof, I would check with the manufacture to make sure the chemicals in whatever you want to put on it will not eat the rubber. Many people have made this mistake. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Let a sleeping dog lie, etc, etc. Good Luck

Old 08-20-05, 05:33 AM
Jacks right on all counts. If its not directly made to use on a rubber roof, it will probably eat the rubber. Beware.

Old 08-20-05, 12:16 PM
S
Thanks all, I think I'll steer clear of everything. I live in New York City, not exactly hurricane alley, nor is it the heart of 100 weather in the summer. Why mess with it. Thanks for making so much sense.

Old 09-23-05, 12:57 PM
phango13
Visiting Guest
reflective paint wearing off rubber roof

i have a slightly different situation--had a rubber roof installed about five years ago on our flat roof and its been fine, but the reflective silver paint they covered it with is wearing off...

should i let it be or repaint it??

if repainting is recommneded, i'd like to repaint it myself but am having trouble figuring out with what, and where to by it...i'm in sf, ca...

thanx in advance for any help...

Old 10-22-05, 10:22 AM
BIGJIM05
Visiting Guest
Just had our roof done and the product that was used to silver coat the roof was Lucas Aluminum Roof Coating #608.
The roof is excellent since it replaced a 97 year old roof with a tear off and rebuild but as a consumer I would say this product holds up so you may want to keep it in mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: