Extending shed roof

Old 08-20-05, 07:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Extending shed roof

I want to extend my 10' x 12' outdoor shed another six feet to house my power yard equipment. The shed roof has a 6/12 pitched roof, which I want to maintain.

I have removed the drip edge on the 12 foot side and plan to sister new rafters to the existing rafters, cutting birds mouths where they meet the existing wall. I will then fasten the new rafters to the existing with screws on both sides of the bird's mouth. I started playing with the layout on one rafter yesterday and it appears that this is going to be a lot of work but I suppose after getting one rafter cut correctly, I can use it as a template.

Unless, of course, someone here has a better idea they can offer. I'd love to be able to connect the new rafters to the existing ones butt to butt, but don't have any idea how that could be accomplished and still retain a reasonable load rating on the roof (I live in ME - lots of snow). It would be nice if there was something like a joist hangar that could be used for this but I haven't found any such critter.

If anyone has any good ideas, I'm very open to suggestions.

Thanks, Jim.

Old 08-21-05, 04:48 AM
I hope you are putting some kind of support on the outside edge of that roof addition and not letting a 6' overhang hanging in the wind...

You can not butt joint rafter ends, that would be about as sturdy as using ferring strips for a stud wall.

Old 08-21-05, 07:57 AM
J
Extending Shed Roof

Yes, I am building a normal wall at the outer end of the extension and on both sides.

Old 08-22-05, 04:40 PM
TomFromFLA
Visiting Guest
if it's difficult, it must be right

You seem to be doing what you should, and once you get the first one right the rest will be easier. Only other way would be to build a new wall up against the existing wall and rafter tie your new rafters to it. But that would be more work then what your doing now. keep on keepin on.

Old 08-23-05, 10:28 AM
TIP....
The birdsmouth(seat) is equal to the reverse of the pitch, or a level cut.
if your pitch is 23 deg. the reverse is 67 deg.
23 + 67 = 90
Its the whole "hypotenuse" thing

If you don't know the pitch... run a string from the center of the existing wall top plate to the outside of the new wall top plate, and set a framing square on the top of the new wall ("pivot point at outer edge) and follow the string to read pitch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: