flashing

Old 08-22-05, 11:18 AM
mek
Visiting Guest
flashing

have a 2nd story bedroom roof peircing. have a flashing delema. 2nd story peirces multiple slopes at side and back all of which descend into 2nd story peircing. at side of peircing have a slope 3.5/12 descending 5' down the wall this roof line intersects an adjacent roof line that terminates at same wall peircing running level for 21'.
at the back of this 2nd story peircing the oppisite occures. peak descends into peircing runs level along peircing for 5' feet where the next gimble roof line intersects peircing and descends along wall at a 3.5/12 pitch to gutters.
can i use 10' l flashing or is steep flashing specifyed here thanks

Old 08-22-05, 11:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WOW...
about the only part I can comment on is the last, and that is a resounding NO on the 10 foot length of flashing at sidewalls.
Step flash only. And if its only a 3.5 in 12...wouldnt hurt to put some self adhesive flashing membrane behind it first.

Good Luck!

Old 08-22-05, 11:51 AM
mek
Visiting Guest
got peel and stick at entire perimiter. lapped 2 layers of 15# 19" over; ran that 6" up the sheathing also. considered sheet copper but at over $800 had to put the brakes on that. cold tar i assume would be in order

Old 08-22-05, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Not sure just what you have there. But along where the pitch of the roof hits a wall Id forget the copper and gp with Galv step shingles and then counter flash them on the wall like you should.

ED

Old 08-22-05, 12:26 PM
mek
Visiting Guest
have continuous contact of roofline at wall 2 points have slope running down the wall(run off no problem) 2 points have roofline terminating into wall(water pooling a problem. a bit difficult to invision

Old 08-22-05, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I have found any time you have that with water running into a wall. We take and build the roof up and make a false valley so the water can run off or out of there.

ED

Old 08-22-05, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For a "dead valley" area, consider a Modified Bitumen (torch applied) water pan first, then shingle and flash over. Nail shingles high, so as not to penetrate the pan...but just cover it so its not seen.

Old 08-22-05, 03:38 PM
mek
Visiting Guest
thanks thats the info. i'm looking for guys

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: