Venting A 2:12 Metal Roof

Old 08-23-05, 07:07 AM
Mason156
Visiting Guest
Venting A 2:12 Metal Roof

I am planning the installation of a 2:12 hipped metal roof over a 12 x 44 single story addition on the north side of a home in eastern CT. The ridge terminates againt the house - leaving me with a ventilation problem. I am planning on using beaded soffit for intake, which will give me ~225 square inches open area. My options for exhaust are roof louvers or a forced system with a humidistat. This is where my question is:

I'd like to go with roof louvers - not only for cost and complexity, but also because the typical power ventilators are way too powerful for the ~650 cubic feet I'm trying to vent. My concern is that I seem to remember that for passive vents to work properly, the exhaust must be 3 ft over the intake. With this low slope roof, I know I can't make that. Also, I am concerned that the roof louvers may not vent in winter if there is snow accumulation on the roof. With the metal roof - that should be less of an issue, but it is still a concern.

Anyone have any input on this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Old 08-24-05, 10:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In metal roofing, the tie-in to the wall....if I understand the description, could easily be modified to be a natural venting detail.

The SMACNA Architectural Sheet Metal Manual (this is known as the standard for all metal roofing) headwall detail (Figure 6-17A and C), slightly modified, or something similar.

Your contractor should have this...if not...FIRE HIM!
...just kidding!

Good Luck!

Old 08-25-05, 05:34 AM
Mason156
Visiting Guest
I met with the contractor last night and - before I even mentioned my "problem" - he suggested venting using the method you recommend. Apparently this is a "non-issue." Thanks for the help.

Steve

Old 08-30-05, 01:29 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re:

Do you have problems with roofing or you are looking for new one?

NO ADVERTISING

Last edited by majakdragon; 09-07-05 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Advertising
Old 08-30-05, 04:28 AM
Mason156
Visiting Guest
It is a new roof over an addition. Thanks also for the link, although I am in CT.

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: