Elastomeric roof coating? What to look for

Old 08-24-05, 01:21 PM
monkeygirl
Visiting Guest
Question Elastomeric roof coating? What to look for

Hi,

I need some basic advice &/or personal opinions. It's time to cool coat my almost flat, built up roof. I live in Arizona, so extreme heat is a consideration. The roof if 3 years old.

Do i need to prep. it with some sort of primer first? What should I look for in the roof coating I apply? Is elastomeric a good choice?

It has either a silver or white coating on it now, I'm not positive. Is this a factor to consider?

This is a new ballgame for me; any help is appreciated.

Old 08-25-05, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
About a third of the unwanted heat that builds up in your home comes in through the roof. This is hard to control with traditional roofing materials. For example, unlike most light colored surfaces, even white asphalt and fiberglass shingles absorb 70% of the solar radiation. One good solution is to apply a reflective coating to your existing roof. Two standard roofing coatings are available at your local hardware store or lumberyard. They have both waterproof and reflective properties and are marketed primarily for mobile homes and recreational vehicles. One coating is white latex that you can apply over many common roofing materials, such as asphalt and fiberglass shingles, tar paper, and metal. most manufacturers offer a 5-year warranty.

A second coating is asphalt based and contains glass fibers and aluminum particles. You can apply it to most metal and asphalt roofs. Because it has a tacky surface, it attracts dust, which reduces its reflective somewhat. Another way to reflect heat is to install a radiant barrier on the underside of your roof. A radiant barrier is simply a sheet of aluminum foil with a paper backing. When installed correctly, a radiant barrier can reduce heat gains through your ceiling by about 25%. Radiant-barrier materials cost between $0.13 per square foot ($1.44 per square meter) for a single-layer product with a kraft-paper backing and $0.30 per square foot ($3.33 per square meter) for a vented multiflora product with a fiber- reinforced backing. The latter product doubles as insulation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: