Drain tile drop per foot ?

Old 08-27-05, 06:11 AM
Mudball
Visiting Guest

I will be installing a perforated drain tile around the perimeter of the house foundation.
My question is what is the minimum/maximum drop in inches per foot for having good drainage ?
Thanks

Old 08-27-05, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Since it is perforated just try to keep it level around the footings. You are in gravel and it is perforated so the slope does not matter.

If you are using a sump, sloping the short length to a sump is not critical.

Remember everything around the house is in gravel and you probably will not seap any joints tight. Its a good idea to lay a small piece ot tar paper or poly over loose joints.

If you slope to daylight (out away from the house), slope it so you can carry away far enough so it cannot migrate back. Something like a quarter inch per foot would be nice. If your grade is quite flat, you will have to decrease the slope. Too steep is not a big problem like it is for a sewer line.

Dick

Old 08-28-05, 03:42 AM
Mudball
Visiting Guest
Thanks Concretemasonry.
The 1/4" per foot fall is very close to what I had my scribe line stretched out against my block was and could use it as a guide line for measures. For example I'm trying to get around 7" to 8" of drop for the back wall that is 30' long. In all honesty I will probably end up with less drop than that as this will be a lot of extra work for me to accomplish. But I guess some drop is better than no drop at all...right ? I feel its very important to keep all water running out to daylight.
Since I first posted my question I have had some serious considerations on trying to accomplish this much drop in the drain tile. I might have to go with 3" to 5" drop on the 30' back wall.
Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: