Vinyl gutter opinions

Old 08-29-05, 05:47 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl gutter opinions

What's your opinion of vinyl gutters and downspouts? I've got a small porch addition to gutter and I'm curious what the consensus is on vinyl.

Old 08-29-05, 07:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id say just dont do it. Have had to take many down as they dont hold up to good to the weather and put up metal one's. Steel or aluminum.

ED

Old 08-29-05, 09:19 AM
S
I,ll second that.The gutter is cheap but all the components are expensive

Old 08-29-05, 12:20 PM
O
Do a search.

You'll get a lot of "don't do it" on this board when it comes to high-quality vinyl gutters.

In reality, if you buy the good stuff and install it to spec, it will hold up just as well, if not better than the metal stuff.

Do a search for my post on this very topic and you'll see my position on it.

If you buy the cheap stuff, and do a cheap job it will be crap. Then again the same can be said for any DIY job.

OP

Old 08-29-05, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,961 Upvotes on 1,758 Posts
Since you asked for opinions, mine is don't use it! The only reason DIY's like it is because 1 guy can easily install it. Steel gutters are far superior since they come in 20' lengths, which means few seams.

Steel gutters can usually support a ladder that is leaned up against the gutters, if the installers used brackets every 2' or so, like they should. Most vinyl gutters would either break, bend or come detached.

I don't see many professionals putting up vinyl gutters, and I think there's a reason for that. I think its the same reason professionals don't use the little red Black and Decker rechargable tools.

Old 08-30-05, 11:30 AM
O
If...

If after spending the type of money that the "pros" want us to spend on on steel or alum. gutters a "pro" leans his ladder and doesn't use a ladder stand-off (up against the side of the house or up-and-over on to the roof) then I think you should call another "pro".

If the guy throws the ladder up against the gutter my OPINION is you need to call another pro.

Read up on the vinyl, you'll see they are just as good or better than (in some cases) what is out there. Also, you can do the job yourself which means, if you know how to read and take your time, that it will come out RIGHT and not sloppy.

Think about it. What good is a "pro" going to say about something a DIYer can do themselves? It means money out of their pockets!!!

Good luck!

OP

Old 08-30-05, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,961 Upvotes on 1,758 Posts
LOL, OldPete, you're a real advocate of these gutters, maybe you ought to look into selling them!

How many DIY homeowners do you know that have their own ladder standoff/stabilizers? When it's time to clean the gutters, they slap a ladder up against them.

I respect your opinion since you're obviously happy with your gutters, but as you yourself acknowledged, most "pros" here will disagree with you. Hopefully, you will respect the opinion of these "pros" who constantly volunteer their knowledge and expertise here at "no charge", and ask nothing in return.

Old 08-30-05, 07:56 PM
Vinyl Gutters

Gossamar: You asked a question in this forum about vinyl gutters. 4 people who have experience have told you no, one person who has NO EXPERIENCE except from reading books, and using them himself have said yes. Now I am not a rocket scientist, but I think the score is 4 no's, 1 yes. We just went through this whole thing about a month ago. Which is fine. Old Pete has just as much right to say things as anyone else has. So there you have it. Vinyl gutters have nothing to do with Pro's. They are just a type of material.
Bottom line, do you want plastic or metal. The choice is now yours. We have spoken.

Old 08-31-05, 02:01 PM
O
Originally Posted by XSleeper
LOL, OldPete, you're a real advocate of these gutters, maybe you ought to look into selling them!

How many DIY homeowners do you know that have their own ladder standoff/stabilizers? When it's time to clean the gutters, they slap a ladder up against them.

I respect your opinion since you're obviously happy with your gutters, but as you yourself acknowledged, most "pros" here will disagree with you. Hopefully, you will respect the opinion of these "pros" who constantly volunteer their knowledge and expertise here at "no charge", and ask nothing in return.

Agreed! There is a lot of great info on these boards, all of which I am thankful of!

Pete

P.S. Jack, that is a true assessment of the situation. You guys are the pros. I'm just a homeowner that has watched time and time again the haphazard work done by some pros (I'm sure none of you folks)... The only thing I'd like to add is that in the end, I gain nothing by being a proponent of doing things DIY and doing them the right way. I have no way of knowing the last time you saw the newer vinyl guttering systems out there, etc. My general experience with the pros is that they know how to quote a job @ $5000 and then call Pedro in to do it for $895 they in turn spend the week fishing.

Old 09-02-05, 05:17 PM
Been to busy to read this lately.. but i will throw my opinion in a bit late.

I would stay away from plastic gutters. I know people who tried to use them as DIY projects in the past and i land up replacing them in the future. If it was my house, i would install half-rounds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: