Old 09-03-05, 10:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

The downspouts in my mother-in-laws house empty at the corner of her house. During heavy and long rains, the ground gets soaked and start leaking into the basement. I can dig a ditch and run pipe out further into the yard. Questions: What kind of pipe? performated? non-perforated? lay on bed of stone? can the end of the pipe be buried? should I take it clear to the alley to drain there? should I bury some sort of water catch?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-05, 10:36 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,130
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

How much ground slope do you have? If you don't have much slope, you might be able to raise the point where your downspout ends so you can carry water further away.

Old 09-03-05, 10:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Not sure how to determine if there is enough slop, but if I lay pipe into the yard, I think I'd have enough to drain away.
Old 09-03-05, 10:46 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26,002
Received 669 Votes on 619 Posts
If you have enough slope, I'd bury a solid corrugated 4" pipe that could have an outlet somewhere far away from the house where the water could drain without problem. They make an adapter that goes from your standard downspout sizes (rectangle) to 4" corrugated. (

Since the pipe is solid, you don't need rock or gravel for drainage, you're just moving the outlet away from the house. I've done this and cemented the end of the pipe into the ground so that it's finished off, easier to mow and trim around. It works best if the pipe terminates on a slope.
Old 09-03-05, 11:15 AM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 18,389
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

should I take it clear to the alley to drain there?
Like said Id run the 4 " PVC pipe all the way to that alley if you have any fall at all.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: