downspouts/drainage

Old 09-03-05, 10:26 AM
JRT
Visiting Guest
downspouts/drainage

The downspouts in my mother-in-laws house empty at the corner of her house. During heavy and long rains, the ground gets soaked and start leaking into the basement. I can dig a ditch and run pipe out further into the yard. Questions: What kind of pipe? performated? non-perforated? lay on bed of stone? can the end of the pipe be buried? should I take it clear to the alley to drain there? should I bury some sort of water catch?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-05, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
downspouts/drainage

How much ground slope do you have? If you don't have much slope, you might be able to raise the point where your downspout ends so you can carry water further away.

Dick

Old 09-03-05, 10:43 AM
JRT
Visiting Guest
Not sure how to determine if there is enough slop, but if I lay pipe into the yard, I think I'd have enough to drain away.

Old 09-03-05, 10:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 190 Votes on 179 Posts
If you have enough slope, I'd bury a solid corrugated 4" pipe that could have an outlet somewhere far away from the house where the water could drain without problem. They make an adapter that goes from your standard downspout sizes (rectangle) to 4" corrugated. (http://doityourself.com/store/6353288.htm)

Since the pipe is solid, you don't need rock or gravel for drainage, you're just moving the outlet away from the house. I've done this and cemented the end of the pipe into the ground so that it's finished off, easier to mow and trim around. It works best if the pipe terminates on a slope.

Old 09-03-05, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

should I take it clear to the alley to drain there?
Like said Id run the 4 " PVC pipe all the way to that alley if you have any fall at all.

ED