Low Pitch Asphalt Roof Sealant?

Old 09-03-05, 05:00 PM
DiamondNotch
Visiting Guest
Low Pitch Asphalt Roof Sealant?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm looking for a way to seal my roof. Eventually I will have to redo the roof but for the time being, any suggestions for a product that I could apply on to seal the entire roof would be appreciated! The roof currently doesn't leak, but there have been leaks in the past, and with winter coming... We're in Central New York, up in the mountains. The roof has a low pitch, and looks to be the rubber type that was rolled out. It has a coating of asphalt on the top surface of the rubber.

Old 09-03-05, 07:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it has an asphalt coating, it is definately not a rubber membrane,
so lets go with asphalt based. Possibly a Modified Asphalt membrane.

There are several asphalt based coatings available. Most are not designed to stop leaks. They are intended as a UV protective or reflective surfacing.

A high solids content coating which may bridge small (up to 1/16 inch) cracks could cost as much as 1/2 of a do it yourself new roof. And you wont find them in the Big Box stores. These are specialty high dollar coatings.

Best advice for a short term fix is a pail of asphalt flashing cement and asphalt saturated mesh to apply small repairs at seams, corners, edges, transitions, holes, anything that is open more than 1/4 inch. In making a 3-course repair (mastic/mesh/mastic)Thicker is NOT better. 1/8 inch thich total.
Make the repairs at least 3" larger than what you are repairing on all sides. Use a small trowel to work the first application into the surface good (clean surface first) then cut some mesh and apply with another thin layer of mastic atop. Smooth with trowel like your icing a cake.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: