Helping a friend roof his house with metal

Old 09-04-05, 02:01 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Helping a friend roof his house with metal

Hurricane Katrina damaged an elderly friends roof. It needs to be replaced and to save money he wants to overlay over the old roofing with furring strips and a metal roof and wants me to do it. I'm not a roofer but I have done this several times so I donít think it will be a problem. Anyway, I have one question about his roof.

He has 2 pitches on his roof. One in the back, from the ridge out, and on the front, but at the front porch line in the front, the pitch changes and angles out a little more causing a slight valley. How do you join those angles? What type of flashing etc..? thanks for any help.

Old 09-06-05, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately that is the kind of detail that will get you in trouble if you don't know exactly what to do.

You have two basic choices, either separate the two slopes or join them together.

Sorry ..no easy answer for that one in this limited forum. Look for constructon details on a roof panel manufactures web site to guide you in the right direction...a picture is worth 2000 words in this case.

Good Luck!

Old 09-06-05, 06:00 PM
Here is a link to a good spec for reference...

http://www.aep-span.com/cadd/ARCH/HR_36/HR36_DI.PDF

Old 09-07-05, 08:25 AM
F
Thanks for the responses.

I went to the roofing supply company yesterday and thankfully they had brochures with diagrams explaining all this and showing which flashing to use etc... I saw the brochures on a table out of the way, so I was able to peruse them before dealing with the sales guy. Which worked out great.

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: