ridge vents or eyebrow vents

Old 09-04-05, 07:22 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 142
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ridge vents or eyebrow vents

I had two roofers out to give an estimate for reroofing. One recommends ridge vents and said that eyebrow vents don't work very well. The other said ridge vents are newer and he thinks rain can get through the ridge vents. He likes eyebrows. Which is better?

I live in San Jose, CA (South Bay Area) and the roof is hip type. There are currently 5 eyebrows but the house is very hot during the summer days. There are also rectangular intake vents cover by metal screens. Are these called soffits?

Any comments and suggestions are appeciated.

Old 09-06-05, 12:03 PM
shinstr's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Berkley Michigan
Posts: 227
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should ask the contractors what is required?
It dosen't really matter what they "like"..."they" need to run the calculations to determine how much ventilation is required by code for your structure. Local codes vary by region and will dictate either 1/150 or 1/300. (meaning, 1 sq ft of venting for every 150 or 300 sq ft of attic floor space.)

Find that out first, Then compare the capacities of the different vent styles and aesthetic appeal, to see which suits your needs better.

Good Luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: