Another metal roof question

Old 09-05-05, 01:01 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another metal roof question

Hello all I am in the process of building my own home. I have done Asphalt roofs before but was thinking about a metal roof. I was wondering a couple things.. First what is the average cost of materials per square foot? Second do you have to deck the roof or can I just use lathing and attach it directly to that?

Thanks.. Blake

Old 09-05-05, 08:55 PM
You need to sheet your roof. You will have to compare the price of materials yourself from your local builder. These vary all across the country. Good Luck

Old 09-06-05, 11:07 AM
Depends on what type of metal roofing...
Most all metal panels can span the 3"-5" with no issues. Every panel/guage/type has a SPAN RATING. The first 4' from the gutter and all vallies hips and penetrations should be solid for flashing/underlayment application.

The "Cadillac" would be to fully sheath add 100% self-adhering underlayment and metal panels.

Installed costs....This is not really a Do-it yourself project unless you have a lot of experience with sheetmetal....

Standing seam - Attached with hidden clips, spaced approx 12" apart up each seam. Could be $5-$20 sf, depending on profile and metal type/coating.

Corrigated/"Pro-Panel" - also spaced fastening- $3-$8 sf, again depending on profile and metal type/coating.

You will need underlayment and proper ventilation no matter which way you go.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: