Urgent Shingle Problem in Maryland?

Old 09-05-05, 02:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Urgent Shingle Problem in Maryland?

Guys I live in Fredrick Maryland. There is a problem that is running rampant with houses with "Light" colored shingles!
Starting about 3 years ago these roofs started to get ugly streaks running down to the gutters! It is really getting people into an uproar!!
The "Roofing Contractors" say they don't know what it is!
It is not "poke berries" from bird droppings!!
The streaks are straight down from a source point, but may spread up to ? inches, usually about 12 to 24 inches.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated very much.

Changeling

Old 09-05-05, 08:53 PM
What is the source point ? Is it the same with each house ? What is at the source point ? Let us know.

Old 09-06-05, 01:09 PM
C
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor
What is the source point ? Is it the same with each house ? What is at the source point ? Let us know.
The source point is completely random, no geometric patern that is the same so it can't be traced through that idea!
The source point might be a point or an area 4 or so inches wide.
It resembles someone say throwing a bucket of "dye" (as example) on your roof.

It may be centralized near the center of your roof or across the whole roof.

I called a roofing contractor today, there answer was: "We are well aware of the problem but have no idea what it is or how to clean it"!!

Personally I have a medium brown shingle that is a cedar shake "look alike". You can't see any problems at all on my roof but I'm sure what ever it is is there. My neighbors roof is very light colored and it stands out like black on white!!
Changeling

Old 09-06-05, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Have any tried a clorox water mix on it and see if that works???

ED

Old 09-06-05, 06:12 PM
If it starts over winter, did anyone consider its the reindeer effect?

When you say 'dye', what color is it?

Old 09-06-05, 07:47 PM
Shingle Problem

Of course we cannot see it so it is hard to tell. but it sounds like it is a mold or mildew or algae of sorts. Turning light color shingles dark is usually a clue to the items I have mentioned. Like Ed says, spray on a mixture of clorex bleech and water, about half and half, maybe a little heavier on the bleech and see what happens. This will kill the growth. Good Luck

Old 09-06-05, 08:50 PM
Isn't half and half a little strong??

Old 09-07-05, 12:49 PM
C
Originally Posted by shinstr
Isn't half and half a little strong??
This is my worry also! I heard somewhere (don't know where) Clorox was damaging to the asphalt in the shingle, but I reall don't know.
I don't want to kill what ever it is and have the shingles fall apart!

The color is like a very dirty car (black). I've seen this stuff on some really expensive houses so somebody must be doing or trying something!

Changeling

Old 09-07-05, 01:58 PM
You are correct, Chlorine bleach, specifically the "chlorine" part can (not necessarily always "will") dissolve asphalt. Oxygen bleach will not.

A mild solution of bleach in a pump sprayer (no more than 1 cup in a 3 gal sprayer), saturate the surface and let sit for 30 min, then wash off very thoroughly with gardenhose. (spray down hill only!) It may not immediately remove all the staining but will kill the algae that is causing it and will eventually wear off.

A trick to keeping it off is to install a 3" or so, wide strip of zink or copper (zink works better) just below the ridge-line. This will make the rain water run-off toxic to mold and algae and prevent it from growing.

Good Luck!

Old 09-08-05, 12:33 PM
C
Originally Posted by shinstr
You are correct, Chlorine bleach, specifically the "chlorine" part can (not necessarily always "will") dissolve asphalt. Oxygen bleach will not.

A mild solution of bleach in a pump sprayer (no more than 1 cup in a 3 gal sprayer), saturate the surface and let sit for 30 min, then wash off very thoroughly with gardenhose. (spray down hill only!) It may not immediately remove all the staining but will kill the algae that is causing it and will eventually wear off.

A trick to keeping it off is to install a 3" or so, wide strip of zink or copper (zink works better) just below the ridge-line. This will make the rain water run-off toxic to mold and algae and prevent it from growing.

Good Luck!
How do you install a strip of zink without putting a hole it your roof? Where do you get strips of Zink?
Where do I get "Oxygen Bleach" and will it work the same as regular bleach?

Thanks very much for your help.

Changeling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: