Water Leak Help

Old 09-09-05, 01:18 PM
flfishnguy
Visiting Guest
Water Leak Help

I am having a problem with water leaks in my new townhome in South Florida. While it is new construction and is under warranty, the buillder is scratching his head. The leaks appear to be on the bottom of the wall to the left and right of our sliding glass door anoge the base board. I find out now that the right side had been repaired once before during construction and continued to leak. The builder covered it up with KILZ stain blocker so the homeowner would not notice. Anyways....
There is no flashing above the slider. When it rains the tracks fill with water and do not drain out on both the inside and outside. I am guessing that from there the water is finding its way in. I questioned the builder about weep holes and was told that this model door has none. the water damage looks worse on these bottom corners next to the slider.
They are going to have their hands full because I am not the only unit with this problem.

Any suggestions??????

Old 09-09-05, 02:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,923 Upvotes on 1,727 Posts
I would guess that they slapped the patio door onto the building paper and didn't bother to flash the head. The only way to tell for sure is to remove the siding all the way around the door. It also could be that there is no sealant underneath the threshold of the door. The bottom corners of patio doors are susceptible to leakage unless properly flashed. The best thing to use is a peel and stick membrane over the side nailing fins and onto the building paper. The building paper on top should be cut like a flap, folded up, and peel and stick membrane installed over the nailing fin and directly onto the sheathing. Then the building paper is folded back down and skip taped.

If there is a deck outside, the deck ledger ought to be flashed to the house, with the building paper overlapping the flashing. If there is a cement pad or sidewalk outside the door, it ought to be lower than the interior subfloor to allow for drainage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: