Dryrot on facsia

Old 09-09-05, 07:20 PM
RonJ
Visiting Guest
Fungus/Dryrot on facsia

I just had an inspection done and there was about a 2 sq in area on the end of the facsia on my patio that has some fugus damage or at least that's what they said it was. The inspection company recommended the repair to be, clean out the area, treat with some kind of chemical and filled with a plastic or epoxy. For the price they quoted I decided to do the repair myself. The damage is on the end of the facsia. Would I need to actually apply a chemical treatment before applying the filler? Would autobody plastic (Bondo) be an acceptable filler? I had seen bondo used once for a wood repair but questioned it's durability. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RonJ; 09-10-05 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-09-05, 07:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NO epoxy necessary. Easy fix.
Measure 2' back from the affected area and cut, with a circular saw, square to the run, but at a 45deg bevel.
Cut a new peice of 1x4 or 1x6 fascia to fit. Nail up....
Prime, caulk and paint

Done!

Old 09-15-05, 11:12 PM
RonJ
Visiting Guest
Since It was not in the cards to change the entire fascia, I came across an excellent fix! Bondo, the stuff used to fill dents at the local auto body repair shop. This stuff works GREAT for small repairs in wood, it sets up super fast and is easy to sand and shape with the added bonus that it accepts paint very well. I am almost ready to declare this stuff the best thing since sliced bread for minor wood repairs.

Old 09-16-05, 12:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
The "chemical treatment" most likely would have been a borate-based preservative such as Tim-bor or Bora-care.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: