Roof / Need Help

Old 09-11-05, 05:59 AM
lttlbrch
Visiting Guest
Roof / Need Help

I will be replacing my roof this year and here is the following. The Sq footage is 1300sq ft. with a 4:12 pitch. I have a gable roof and will be putting down asphalt shingles 20YR. I live in Southern Ontario and I was told to put at least 4 vents in and to do @ 3ft of ice & water paper.

What vents our best recomended to use?
Is it recomended to tar paper the rest of the roof after the 3ft of ice & water?
Is it recomended to put ice & water or tar paper on the ridge?
What is the best tool to use to get old asphalt shingles of the roof?

Thanks to all that reply.

Old 09-23-05, 09:52 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
Here in Minnesota all the roofs I do get 6 ft of ice and water shield. Most roofs have a minumal of 12 aluminum painted Lomanco air vents and some as many as 24 vents.

You can use 15 pound felt on the peaks but make sure to use ice and water in the valleys and around chimneys and sky lights. If you want you can lay two layers of felt over the peak for the added protection. Just make sure you don't cut into the paper when cutting the top row. You can also nail over the top for the added protection too.

I've found in 10 years or roofing the best shingle remover hands down is a pitch fork. Get a short handled version with flatter prongs and work from the top going down.

Tearing off is very easy on the brain but tough on the body.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Old 09-24-05, 05:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dougger, ever try a potato shovel? Basicly a pitch fork with 3/4" wide tines. Thats my personal favorite shingle remover...

Old 09-24-05, 06:38 PM
lttlbrch
Visiting Guest
Thanks to the reply's.
It took the hole weekend to do but got it done. I will have to agree that the pitch fork is the best tool to use but it doesn't get the nails out. The roofing shovels where OK but didn't work on the bottom layer of shingles very good.

I talked to the guy's at Home Depot and they said with a 4 in 12 roof that I will only need to put 3ft of ice and water. I then put felt paper the rest of the way up. I aslo put down ice and water on the ridge for extra protection plus I had a lot left over.

As for roof vents they said that I would need 1 vent for every 300sq ft. So I already had 2 vents so I added another 4 vents for a total of 6 vents (exhaust) and have 3 inlet vents (sofit vents)..

Thanks again ths is a great site for the do it yourselfers.

Old 09-25-05, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by lttlbrch
I talked to the guy's at Home Depot and they said
I would take what they say and throw it out the window or in your case, off the roof. You do find some knowledgable people there, but i have heard some interesting information from the "experts".

Read what the manufacturer of the product you want to use requires. Without seeing your roof, its hard to tell exactly how much ice and water shield needs to be installed. The membrane is supposed to go high enough to cover where the top of your exterior wall plate would intersect the roof line. So it all depends on the overhang of the roof and the pitch.

Old 09-25-05, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by dougger
You can use 15 pound felt on the peaks but make sure to use ice and water in the valleys and around chimneys and sky lights. If you want you can lay two layers of felt over the peak for the added protection. Just make sure you don't cut into the paper when cutting the top row. You can also nail over the top for the added protection too.
At the ridge, i would see how it looks and overlap the shingles. If you cut them, use the large tin snips like you use for siding work. We use those to cut everything, work great on hip roofs.

MalcoŽ
12" Long Aluminum Handled Snips

Item #: 6226 Model: MC12TS

Search for that at lowes.com or elsewhere, thats close to the ones we use.

Old 09-26-05, 08:16 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
What I call a pitch fork is the same thing you call a potato fork. Actually another thing the fork is good for is digging angle worms!!!

The best advice is can give you as a roofing prof. is don't listen to what the hourly worker at Home Depot tells you!!! For another hundred bucks or so to have another 3ft. of ice and water shield on the eaves is cheap peace of mind.

Old 09-27-05, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by dougger
What I call a pitch fork is the same thing you call a potato fork. Actually another thing the fork is good for is digging angle worms!!!
Around this wonderfull area, a pitch fork has 1/8" or so round tines. Patatoe shovel has the flat tines.

Old 09-28-05, 08:26 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
I guess for 30 years my father has called the thing used to take shingles off a roof a pitch fork and I've followed suit for the past 10 years and have also called it a pitch fork.

Actually of all the roofers I know none call it a potato fork all call it a pitch fork. In some respects we are two worlds apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: