French drain or downspout drain?

Old 09-11-05, 11:29 AM
rward
Visiting Guest

Hello all,

One side of my house has two downspouts that empty right next to the foundation. I can't effectively channel the water away because it's on a negative grade and last winter I had a fair amount of water in my crawlspace (single story home). I'm considering two options: a downspout drain or a french drain with the downspouts running to the tubing in the drain. I'm looking for some advice on whether or not a french drain is really needed.

There's about 10' between the house and a retaining wall. The neighbor's lot on the other side of the wall sits about 3' higher than ours. The negative grade on our side is gentle, but we also have heavy clay soil so water doesn't drain well. I suspect most, if not all of the water in the crawlspace comes from the downspouts, but can't say for sure. Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-18-05, 03:40 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interesting problem you have... very similar to mine. I too am thinking about using 4" PVC to move the water away from my foundation. I don't have the problem you do with the - grade, so I'm thinking just running the pipe a good 15 feet away and then using a popup drain. Let me know what you end-up doing.

Old 09-18-05, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Beware of french drains in clay soil. If there is no place for the water to go, a pit can fill and begin to direct water back up to the source. Also, other surface drainage can fill your drain and it becomes a collector if not planned properly.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: