Katrina and Ondura

Old 09-12-05, 05:06 PM
BamaDave
Visiting Guest
Katrina and Ondura

I want to install some Ondura and here is why! We just went through Katrina and I received roof damage. My parents live on Mobile bay and I feel sure they saw some 120MPH gusts and where the neighbors lost roofing they had absolutely no roof damage and they have Ondura. Unfortunately they got flooded but the roof held together. My only problem is where they terminated the sides on the facials. They rolled the edges and nailed the rolled section to the facial. Well I have aluminum-covered facial and I donít want to have the possibility of having problems attaching a rolled edge, as the aluminum isnít very forgiving. Anyone have an idea how I can remedy this issue?

Thanks ahead of time responding to my inquiry!!

David

Old 09-14-05, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ondura Roofing

It is my belief that your parents Ondura roofing was not correctly fastened to the roof of their house on the edges. You are supposed to put on what is called rake and trim. An "L" shaped piece of metal, which goes over the roof about 6" and down the fascia about 4 to 6". It is part of the roofing system.
It is screwed into the fascia boards about every 12" and the same up the roof. This is how it is. Good Luck. Just finished putting on 8000 sq ft yesterday, and have 15,000 sq ft roof to do next week. We have used it for many years.

Old 09-22-05, 11:25 AM
Jack, is the Ondura to which you refer a corrugated roofing material? Is it rigid enough to walk upon when installed? What sort of life could one expect (on a farm barn)?

Old 09-22-05, 03:05 PM
Ondura Roofing.

If you would go to Ondura Roofing web site, you would see the profile of it. It is not corrugated like round waves. It is really a ridge 1" wide every 12".
It is very strong. Yes, you can walk on it. Life span probably 40 to 50 years. It comes in amny colors. You can order it cut in any length up to 60'.
Fairly easy to install, but takes a couple of people becuase of the weight. It is to be screwed every 2' through the field. This will never blow off your roof. It it goes, your whole roof would go, but it would still be screwed to it.

Old 10-15-05, 03:28 AM
Nancy05
Visiting Guest
I hope it is OK to add a question to this thread rather than start a new one. I need a new roof after Katrina and like the original poster, I am considering Ondura. I have a skylight in my roof and was curious what they would do when they put the roof on. Will they need to cover the skylight or will they just roof around it? If they roof around it, will that somehow make the roof not as strong?

Old 10-15-05, 04:18 AM
Your skylight should not be a problem in any manner. They will roof around it, and there is a boot the metal fits into. Not a problem with strenght.
Good Luck

Old 10-15-05, 11:45 AM
Nancy05
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your answer Jack. It is hard trying to get information from the actual contractors because they are swamped with work right now. If you were interested in coming to Gulfport to do metal roofs, you could probably stay busy for a few years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: