Roofing Companies: Who To Believe?

Old 09-15-05, 09:28 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm having the original, 20 year old 3 tab shingle roof replaced on my house. South Florida location. Single level house, approx 1,500 sq feet under air.
I've decided to go with architectural style shingles rather than keeping the three tab style. It will be a complete tear off and replace. The existing roof has no ventilation in place, if you can believe that!
So far, two established roofing company reps have paid me a visit. One, (Company A), impressed me favorably. The other, (Company B), struck me as willing to say anything to get my business. For example, the salesman told me the entire job, from start to finish, would be completed the same day! I played dumb and went along with his story.
Prices from both are in the same ballpark: $9,440 (Company A), and $10,000 (Company B). The latter has already called me back and told me if I commit by Tuesday he will drop the price $200. I have appointments with two more companies over the next few days for additional quotes.
The two companies I have already spoken with differ, however, on the ventilation system. Company A no longer installs ridge vents. He claims they have proven to be problematic due to the high winds we can have in this part of the country, (ie, hurricanes). He went on to say that some shingle manufacturers will void the warranty if ridge vents are installed, and some insurance companies won't cover damages to ridge vent related failure. His suggestion was six low profile Lomanco vents along the back side of the roof.
Company B said the opposite. They use ridge vent systems routinely, and without problems.
Two companies, in the same business in the same geographic location, with two different takes on this. I'll be curious to hear what the other two companies tell me.
Anyone have an opinion on this?
Also, not having gone through this process before, what should I be looking for/asking these companies as I go through the selection process?
Thank you!

Old 09-15-05, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I would say you need some type of ventilation for two reasons -

1. Keeping the attic space cooler will save on AC costs.

2. Keeping the attic space cooler will make your roofing materials last much longer.

Ridge vents are not the only way to go. If a roofer does not like ridge vents, he should be able to vent the space some way or he is not a professional roofer.

I wouldn't fall for the price cut for a quick answer. This means he has no work or just wants to get you hooked with a deposit so he can do it when he pleases if he does show.

dick

Old 09-15-05, 11:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
1 - Doing an entire roof in 1 day is not unusual. If the company has a large enough crew, it can be done.

2 - Ridgevents are used all the time. Some roofers prefer them, some do not.
Shingle manufacturers, on the whole, agree that a soffit vent/ridge vent system is the preferred ventilation system. If one roofer is not comfortable with them, other ventilation systems will be acceptable.
I do not know of any shingle manufacturers that "void" warranties if ridge vents are installed....mainly because most of them have their own ridge vents that they sell. I would ask him which manufacturer he is referring to.....you will most likely catch him off guard.

Maybe he's talking about the warranty being voided if the ridge vents are installed WITHOUT HAVING SOFFIT VENTS INSTALLED AT THE EAVES. For a ridge vent (outflow) to work properly, you must have soffit vents (inflow) installed at the eaves.

Good luck.

Old 09-15-05, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Contractor A knows what he's talking about. What he stated about wind blown rain is exactly right on. Ridge vents work fine in almost every other part of the country, but with the recent hurricanes, they've found out they don't work so well in Florida.

Contractor B can definately do a roof in one day, provided the crew has enough men. Lowering the bid is a good sales technique, but also means he was gouging you to begin with.

I'd go with the contractor that is cautious about the roof vents.

Old 09-15-05, 06:33 PM
C
Thanks for the reply, gents. But Company B, with the one day completion claim, is blowing smoke. Where I live, the city requires two inspections before work can continue to completion. First, when the tear off is complete, the city inspector will check out the plywood base for any problems. Once that is done and the work continues, another inspection is required after the felt is laid down and just before the shingles will be installed. Two inspections, city hall, one day? I'd have to see it to believe it.

Old 09-15-05, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
ha ha, i see. Well, if Jack the Contractor replies, give his opinion the most weight. He's in Florida himself.

Old 09-17-05, 10:48 AM
Who to Believe

From what you have told us, I would probably go with Company A, for the reason of the Roof Vents. The type of vents they want to put up are the preferred type. My thought has always been concerning Ridge Vents, is Why cut a hole in a perfectly good roof ? As far as company B is concerned, 1500 sq ft is not a very big roof. Four good guys one day, providing the temps are cool enough. We have a thermometer on our roofs, and when the roof hits 90 degrees, we come off the roof, so we will not mar the shingles. Most roofers do not however. Just as a point of interest, I do not live in Florida, however my head Forman does and runs a crew out of there. Good Luck

Old 09-17-05, 07:30 PM
C
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor
....My thought has always been concerning Ridge Vents, is Why cut a hole in a perfectly good roof ?...
Hi, Jack. I also have some concerns about a two inch wide opening across every horizontal peak in the roof. On the other hand, the six low profile vents that are being suggested as an alternate will also require six new openings in the roof. So, really, is there much difference?

Old 09-17-05, 07:38 PM
Yes, there is alot of difference. The low profile vents are put about 3' down from the peak, and on the off side of the roof. The off side is the opposite side from which the wind blows the most. The wind comes over the peak, and down the off side, and over the vent, thus causing a sucking of air out of the vent and taking out the hot air. Very seldom will rain or snow come in through these vents.

Old 09-18-05, 06:00 PM
I'm with Jack on this, i hate ridge vents.

Old 09-23-05, 10:46 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
My father has been roofing for over 30 years and does not care much for air vents. Several years ago he got a call on a huge commercial building he roofed when the owner stated there was leaking in the building. When he crawled in the attic to his surprise there were four foot snow drifts in the attic due to the ridge vent!!! The roof was a 4/12 and the wind driven snow went right under the ridge vent and into the attic. The snow was removed and the next spring 150 air vents were installed and the ridge vent was removed.

I kind of like the raised profile with the ridge vent especially on a lifetime laminate roof. The Cobra or Lo-Omni roll ridge is ok but I like the aluminum Lomanco's best.

A large crew of imigrants can get a house tore off and roofed by lunch around here! Were are they going to be in two years though?

I'd go with the company that has the best warranty and has hires competant workers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: