Rain entering Roof Vents

Old 09-17-05, 08:35 PM
nibsey
Visiting Guest
Rain entering Roof Vents

I'm really scratching my head on this one... I'm a new homeowner living in upstate NY. Following some heavy rains (on very windy days) I've noticed a couple of moisture spots on my 2nd story ceiling. Oddly enough, the spots seem to have appeared in 2 different places in the ceiling (after 2 different rain events), and I only noticed them after hard rain on very windy days.

Yesterday it rained very heavily, but without any wind, and the moisture spots didn't materialize (I've was watching for them). I've been in my attic and can't seem to pinpoint where the moisture would be coming from. My roof vents seem to be relatively located above the damp spots in the ceiling, and I'm wondering if it's possible that the wind could blow enough rain through the vents in the roof to make these spots? My vents look like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0BR&lpage=none

Any advice? Is it possible the wind is driving the rain into my attic when it's really windy? I'm stumped...

Nibsey

Old 09-18-05, 11:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Vents

Yes, that is probably exactly what is happening.

Old 09-18-05, 03:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,218 Upvotes on 1,980 Posts
I have had a similar problem on a couple rental houses. I put a washer or hot water heater catch pan underneath the vent in the attic. Just set the pan on top of the insulation under the vent. When the wind blows rain in the pan catches it and then the water evaporates away. This only works if you have water coming in now and then. If you have a real water leak you need to fix it properly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: