Need help with rotting door frames

Old 09-20-05, 12:30 PM
Lisa Stevens
Visiting Guest
Need help with rotting door frames

We recently moved to Jacksonville, Florida. This is our second house in Florida and third move in the past 7 years (husband’s job moves us around). Both houses in Florida (including the one we just moved into) have moderate to significant problems with rotting door frames. Many of the homes here in Florida use aluminum or metal door frames to combat the salt and excess moisture. However, my husband I and are looking for a non-metal solution. Our house is in fairly decent shape, however the sight of the door frames rotting at the base is unattractive. I am looking for long-term recommendations. How do I fix this problem and how do I keep it from continuing to happen?

Old 09-21-05, 03:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rotting Door Frames

Might I suggest looking into replacing your doors with vinyl doors and frames. They will not rot. Good Luck

Old 09-22-05, 02:35 PM
M. Bigbee
Visiting Guest
Here's another option...

Lisa – Welcome to the wonderful world of “wicking.” I am a contractor/ remodeler in Florida. I have used a number of options (including vinyl doors) to the specific problem you are facing. My primary recommendation is for you to look at framesaver.com. I began using their pre-hung door frames 4 years ago and have been extremely pleased with the results and comments from my customers. Framesaver has rot-resistant wood door frames. The product is pre-hung and is built to spec. Any local contractor can install it for you easily. As far as I know, it’s the only rot-resistant door frame that is made of wood and comes with a guarantee and lifetime warranty. Good luck – Mike

Old 10-12-05, 09:51 AM
DaveBeck
Visiting Guest
question...

Dear Mike, Thanks for the FrameSaver recommendation. I took a look at their web site and have a question. The bottom of their frame seems like a much different color than the rest of the frame. Putting aside the question of whether or not the product works, how do you keep from having the doorframe from looking different at the bottom?

Old 10-14-05, 07:46 AM
M. Bigbee
Visiting Guest
good question...

This particular door frame can be painted, sanded or stained. The frame is part plastic, part recycled wood, so it l\handles much like raw wood. Also, I haven’t used it yet, but I did see the company recently announced a stained grade optioned. I don’t what else to say about whether the product works or not, other than I have used it for just over three years and have had zero problems with it and my customers have been very pleased.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: