nailer or nails

Old 09-22-05, 03:52 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nailer or nails

Hello Folks, I have 2 roofs to do. Big square footage. I have never used a air nailer and I'm thinking this would save me loads of time.

My question is!!!! Which air nailer/compressor is the easiest to use/adjust etc.??? Or could I have the roof nailed the old fashioned way by the time it takes me to learn how to use it????

Thanks for your help...... Eric

Old 09-22-05, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
I would never go back to hand nailing. Even with an air gun, I feel like a snail compared to the guys who do it every day. But it will definately speed you up, especially if you can have one person who just feeds you shingles, and keeps you going. The fastest way to shingle is to follow the directions on the package, stairstepping your first 4 or 5 courses per the instructions, then go back to the bottom and work up the "stairs" until you reach the top, then repeat. Once you get a large area stairstepped, you really fly... going up the roof one shingle on every row, rather than doing a lot of moving around side to side as when you do a row or two at a time. When you shingle in this manner, it also keeps the shingles from getting scarred up as bad by your feet, since the shingles you are standing on just came out of the package in the past few minutes, they aren't as hot as the ones that have been down longer. I like to chalk correction rows every 25" to keep everything straight.

But in answer to the question, I'd get the gun. The compressor needs to be regulated to 80-100 psi, and the gun is simple to use. Get the smallest diameter, most flexible hose you can find. If your compressor has oil, it will need to sit flat if you take it up on the roof, don't let it sit at an angle. The nails are about $50 a box, and 1 coil of nails will nail down approximately 1 bundle of shingles. The gun also should have a guage on the bottom of it that you can use to set the 5" shingle reveal, or adjust if it varies from that. I never use it.

Old 09-22-05, 04:26 PM
F
Thanks for the quick answer..... Any recommendations on what brand of gun and compressor to get??? Thanks again!!!!! Eric

Old 09-23-05, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Mine is a Bostich RN-45 Ridge Runner. It's reasonable priced, and sometimes can be purchased along with a small Bostich pancake compressor.

If I had to buy another one right now, i'd probably get the Hitachi NV45AB2. It's about $50 less, and is *alot* lighter. If you aren't going to be hauling your compressor up onto roofs everyday, you might as well get one of those big cheap 8 gallon tank air compressors (Craftsman, Ridgid, Campbell Hausfeld) on wheels, and get several 50' hoses to reach up onto the roof.

Like I mentioned earlier, get the smallest, most flexible hose you can find- sometimes they have low temperature ratings on them, which is a good barometer for a quality hose. Large hoses are heavy, and hoses that aren't flexible make you really really mad, cause you have to spend time getting the kinks out of them.

Old 09-23-05, 09:35 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
I use the Hitachi NV45 coil nailer and have good luck with them.

For the last tow pallets of coil nails (48 boxes at $22.50) I've received a free nailer. I'm on my last box now and am going to try the Dewalt nailer.

The Hitachi, Paslode, Bostitch, and Dewalt are all good guns.

I'd never even think about hand nailing. Doing 50+ roofs a year would be tough with hammer and nails.

Old 09-24-05, 05:24 PM
I will throw my 2cents in here..

I have a Hitachi nailer and i do like it. However... If you are nailing into plywood and setup the nailer right, it will work great. If you are on an older home with planks, you are screwed if the wood is of different densities. Guys i roof with will not use a nailer, we hand nail everything. My Hitachi has been reduced to a tyvek fastener.

And yes hand nailing is slower, we did a 35square hip roof in June, all hand nailed. Tarpaper was nailed darn close to florida requirements too, since it wasn't being shingled the same day as ripoff. Oh and the fun part of it, we only had 2 people on the roof.. third person was there just to help pull nails when we ripped. Did i ever mention i HATE hip roofs..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: