Roof Trusses

Old 09-24-05, 11:27 AM
nsbrobert
Visiting Guest
Roof Trusses

I am going to be building a 2 story home with a split roof. Each half of the roof will be 28' wide and 14' from center of house to the outer wall. I am planning on three 2 x 12's sandwiched together that will go long ways thru the center of house to support that end of the 2" x 10" x 16' that will be my truss spaced 24" OC.

My question is,
with 7/16 OSB and shingles will the 2 x 10 x 16' support the span? Can I use something less? The three 2 x 12 center beams will also be supporting another set of beams above them that will support the 2 x 10 trusses going from the center of house to the opposit outer wall. There will be a 2 x 6 wall under all the center beams for support that go from the beam down to the floor of the second level and then another supporting wall from the second floor to the slab thru the center of house.

Old 09-24-05, 02:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Trusses:

You will have to find out what your local code allows. Check with your permit department or building inspector. Without knowing more information we would only be guessing. There is however something you said you are doing, that I never do, or would never do. That is use 7/16 osb on a roof. It is not strong enough. Especially with trusses on 24" centers. It will create a wavey roof. Many fire codes throughout the country prohibit 1/2" or less roof sheeting. I use nothing less then 5/8 osb for any roof that I do. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-24-05, 02:08 PM
nsbrobert
Visiting Guest
Where I am building is Tennessee, and in the county I am building there are no codes or permits or restrictions, but I do want to do it right. Thanks for the imput on the OSB, I will take your advise on that. But back to my question. With the roof beams being 24" OC and a 14' span, will 2 x 10 be strong enough or more than needed? If I space them at 16"OC what would be reccommended?

Old 09-24-05, 05:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I would stick with 16"OC for OSB sheathing. As far as the roof framing, did you ever think about pricing trusses? Far easier giving them the dimensions and let them spec the proper sizing.

Old 10-04-05, 09:40 AM
nsbrobert
Visiting Guest
I was thinnking about having someone build my trusses but as I said I am now building a split roof. There will be a supoort beam running the through the center of the house to support the roof from the center to the rear of house (14' span). then there will be sky lights and supports for another beam running through the center of house (2' above the first beam) supporting the roof (14' span) to the front of house. so, back to my question, what would be recommended to run the 14' span from center to end for each section. 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 with spacing at 16"OC using 1/2"OSB and shingles. This house is in Tennessee and I don't have to deal with snow issues. Aslo, being in the county I have no building codes or required permits, but I do want to know it was done right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: