Should I Layer shingles

Old 09-25-05, 06:57 AM
youngdennisa
Visiting Guest
Should I Layer shingles

I live in New Jersey and have a roof with one layer of shingles that are getting old. Is it better to remove them before shingling again or should I put the second layer over the first? Thank you. Dennis

Old 09-25-05, 07:24 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Layer shingles

well if you have no leaks id say fine just go over it but if you have leaks i would remover it to make sure woods good under it and not rotted

Old 09-25-05, 08:25 AM
Lyndu1
Visiting Guest
Should I Layer shingles

The only caveat to the first reply is, FIRST: Be certain that your roof trusses, framing structure can support the added weight of a second layer of shingles. I know from my own mistake, the result on re-roofing with 30 yr. architectural shingles, a 24 x 34, 2 story saltbox colonial built in 1975 by a very reputable builder (where the ratio of total roof square footage area is about 1/3 front to 2/3 back). The roof trusses are only 2 x 8's, 16 on center, and the total roof load weight is carried both externally and down through the homes center stairwell structure, and spread via center lally columns in the basement. The roof has bowed areas under the weight and 2nd floor interior wall cracks as well as slight shifting in the door jambs. Doing the roof correctly now could save you some trouble down the road.
Also, since you live in the northeast, installing a double row of Grace Ice and Water shield from the drip edge back will eliminate the ice back ups so many contend with in the winter. Good Luck!

Old 09-25-05, 08:55 AM
Tear everything off down to the deck and start fresh.

Old 09-25-05, 09:19 AM
Tear it all off, inspect the sheathing and off you go.

Old 09-25-05, 10:35 AM
youngdennisa
Visiting Guest
Thank you

OK, we'll strip the shingles. Thanks everybody for your quick and good responses.

Old 09-26-05, 08:11 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
Your making the right decision by tearing off the shingles. In the past 10 years I've only roofed over two houses, not by my choice but due to the financial straints of the homeowners.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: