Is it a bad roofing job....new homeowner

Old 09-25-05, 08:09 AM
tony_michael
Visiting Guest
Is it a bad roofing job....new homeowner...Hurricane Rita

I recently just purchased my home about 3 years ago.. The family I bought the house from had it built 2 years earlier. So, the house is about 5 years old. Since I've been in the home, I have had numerous shingles come off from the slightest gust of wind and even from the temperature being so hot...
Just yesterday hurricane rita hit Louisiana. Fortunately I live in Northern Louisiana where the wind gust only came up to 40mph. However, it tore numerous patches of shingles off my house. Is this a bad roofing job? Or is this normal? I didn't notice any severe damage to any of my neighbors' homes.. I have reported the claim to my insurance company. Help!!!!

How can I correct this problem? I'm tired of patching my roof....

In dire need.... Tony_Micahael.

Last edited by tony_michael; 09-25-05 at 08:21 AM. Reason: change
Old 09-25-05, 09:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Look where the shingles are nailed and how many nails a shingle? Are the shingles 3tab or dimensional? My bet is they are nailed too high and not enough nails.

Old 09-25-05, 05:31 PM
tony_michael
Visiting Guest
Question 3 tab shingles

Thanks for the reply hellrazor.

I checked and my shingles are 3 tab. They have a total of 4 nails in each shingle. 1 nail near the left and right edge of each shingle for a total of 2 and 1 nail directly above each tab divison. They nails are about 1 1/2 inches above the each tab. Is this correct?

Old 09-26-05, 06:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bad roofing Job

I believe that your shingles were installed properly. However, I also believe that they were cheap shingles to begin with. You cannot do much with the shingles you have. Your insurance is not going to give you a new roof, but they will give you something. The key here is when you do re roof which will be soon, to put on a good heavy wind shingle. I would use a dimensional, 35 year, 250# shingle. These are good for about 90 mph winds. Heavier shingles will withstand higher winds. My daughter lives in upper Louisana, and this is what I put on their house after they had troubles similar to yours. Good Luck

Old 09-26-05, 08:09 PM
dougger
Visiting Guest
You could try and hand seal them with roof tar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: